Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calibrating a Hovabator, it hates me!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dracowoman2
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Calibrating a Hovabator, it hates me!! Reply with quote

Has anyone else had any problems calibrating their Hovabator, no matter how hard I try I can't get the damn thng much below 90f!! I've moved it about in 2 different rooms, and I've even got the lid slightly off now and it's still sitting at about 88.5f ish, and I want to get it down to about 83f and I'm running out of ideas Laughing

I've got the turbo fan model, and I don't think the fan would be affecting the temperature, it's only there to move the warm air around, also I've thightened the temp control lever down as far as it will go so I can't physically reduce the heat any further Rolling Eyes the room that it's in now is sitting at about 72f/73f, at this rate I'll be putting the thing in the garden Laughing

"Life without animals isn't life, they give much and take little"

Claire
kroakykaren
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try it in the garage Laughing
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would if I had one Karen Laughing I'm going to have the only open air incubatorat this rate Laughing It might end up having a 1cm air gap between the lid and the base at this rate. I've got eggs I need to put in it as well, and more on the way!! Luckily the 2 I have so far are in a temporary bator which is working, but I want to get the use of the viv back Rolling Eyes

Claire
kroakykaren
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bet its driving you nuts............... give it a good thump Laughing
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is, you should hear what I've called it!! Laughing

Don't know if I'm being thick, but will the bator run off a pulse stat? it's the only other way I can thik to get the temps down to where I need them, without putting the bator in the garden. It'n now on the floor in the dining room, under the window which isn't double glazed, lifted up in the middle slightly so the cold air can get under it, and I've just turned the heating down, so it's woolies all round here tonight Laughing

Claire
kroakykaren
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should do...... doesnt it have a stat built in?
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't seem to have, just the turney thing on the top to increase or decrease the temperature. Turn it one way to increase temp and turn the other way to decrease. I've turned it to decrease so far now it won't turn any further, that's why I wondered about the pulse stat as I've got one spare, I've never used a Hovabator before, I just assumed it was controllable via the thing on top, but it's not getting down low enough. I might give the stat a go now and see what happens. With my luck I'll probably blow it up and end up hoovering polystyrene up for the next 6 months Laughing

Claire
mike h
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are you using to test the temp in the incubator?
How many degrees has it dropped?
Just trying to see if its a thermometer problem.

mike
Dracowoman2
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

I've found out what the problem is, it's ME, I bought the turbo fan model, and not the common or garden cheap version mistakingly thinking that turbo fan version just had an added fan in it, but apparently it actually produces more heat Sad

I've solved it now by attaching it to a pulse stat which has got the temps in the right region now after and 2 days of tweaking. I've got a digital thermometer that gives me a reading in 2 places, but I am only using the out probe into the top of the bator, I've also got the probe for the habistat in through the top as well, and the little standard thermometer that came with the bator inside as well Laughing It's my own stupid fault for thinking that the fan would be a good idea to circulate the air about.

I'm happy to accept any other ideas though as far as incubation methods etc, as I'd actually like to have my pulse stat for other things, but I want my eggies safe, as there are more on the way Very Happy My next option was to put an air gap betwen the lid and the base so that the internal temp was stable. The Hovabators are only a temporary measure anyway until I build the mother of all bators later this year for the balls eggs, or I may keep the Hova's for all the geckos and just build the monster for the snakes Very Happy

Thanks for the assistance Mike Very Happy

Claire
mike h
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for the assistance Mike

No probs, I asked loads of questions about incubation last year on the forum.
In the end I built my own. I had bought a Hatchmaker R but decided it was too small for royal eggs but brilliant for corns rhacs etc.
basically it was a poly box but rather than putting the heatmat in the bottom I put 2 heat strips around the inside. I found it evened the temp out in the box brilliantly. they where run by a pulse and I ened up with 3 thermometers testing it. In the pic you will see the probes of two thermometers and the complete thermometer humidity unit. Also the position of the pulse probe should be in the egg box.
If you want I will take pics of the full incubator to show how it was done.
I know they are royals but the same principles apply.

mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: