Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electrocuting Rats
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rad
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Electrocuting Rats Reply with quote

has anyone tried this.

To me it seems better than messing about with dry ice and is quick for the rats
htf666
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a trap somewhere that works off batteries.I don't know how long they last though,or if rechargables are available.I once worked with a guy who claimed he was sacked from an electrical wholesalers for wiring the metal back boxes from sockets up to the mains and putting cheese in for the rats.He said it went wrong when the boss came in early and saw the box sticking our from under some racking.Being a tidy fellow he picked it up. Shocked
Rad
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

htf666 wrote:
I have seen a trap somewhere that works off batteries.I don't know how long they last though,or if rechargables are available.I once worked with a guy who claimed he was sacked from an electrical wholesalers for wiring the metal back boxes from sockets up to the mains and putting cheese in for the rats.He said it went wrong when the boss came in early and saw the box sticking our from under some racking.Being a tidy fellow he picked it up. Shocked

yea i found one that runs on battery or mains but is more like a rat trap.
I was thinking more on the lines of say a tub, put the rats in, throw the swicth and nice and quick for me and the rats
Lynne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well shove one in the bath, jump in and see if it would be viable!!!! i think you have to do it humanely, and i dont think electrocuting counts.
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were gonna use that humane gasing thingy rad Confused
Rad
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electrocuting is humane, it is quick

just wanted to know if anyone dose it this way
Lynne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not humane and painless, have you ever had a jolt of electricity? i have and its bloody sore. and have you ever seen someone getting electrocuted by chair in america!!!! the way they thrash around yelling it certainly sounds excruciating!!! now they might deserve it, the poor wee rats and mice dont! in my opinion! Smile
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynne do you have a link to a leccy chair jo in america???? Twisted Evil

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Lynne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ wrote:
Lynne do you have a link to a leccy chair jo in america???? Twisted Evil

ahhhhh i get your meaning!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Killing rats Reply with quote

Electrocution seems to me to be something that is very difficult to get right, and I think is definately best avoided ! But I am not sure carbon dioxide is much kinder.

One alternative that I think is the best method is using isofluorane. This is a volatile liquid that when placed into a sealed box with rodents in in creates a gas which painlessly puts the animal to sleep. It is the stuff that vets use to to keep dogs/cats etc sedated during operations. With a little bit of experimenting you can give them enough to overdose them, so after a few minutes the hearts stop and they die. You have to leave them in the box for a couple of hours preferably to make sure it always does the job. Also I like to air them for 30 mins or so afterwards to make sure they have definately died before they go in the freezer or freeze still them in the sealed box.
If you have a good relationship with your vet then you maybe able to get some of this stuff. You need around 1 ml for a large sandwich box with mice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: