Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Waterproofing plywood
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark_w
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Waterproofing plywood Reply with quote

Hi,

I am starting to plan building a new humid tropical tank. Anyone have experience with waterproofing plywood?

I've done this before using multiple coats of varnish, followed by silicone in the corners/joints, but its a pain doing this.

I know you can get various pond paints etc. Anyone used these or similar?

Thx,
Mark.
arthur cooke
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark, I've always used moisture resistant MDF and paint with an exterior paint. the rough kind that you use on render etc. I use silicon to seal the corners. Always found it makes a nice solid viv.
cheers arthur
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend using an epoxy but if you think varnish is a roayl PITA then you're gonna hate epoxy Laughing

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
mark_w
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the replies:

Arthur,
Does this work for very high humidity?

I was considering undercoating, then painting with waterproof gloss, topped with a coat of yacht varnish. Whether this is better than three straight coats of varnish I don't know. Plus, with a large viv this takes ages...

MJ,
What brand/type of epoxy do you use? Do you have to mix it? More hassle than the above?

Cheers,
Mark.
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to look and see what I use mate can't think of the brand name its a 2 part epoxy resin.. it's more work than varnish and or paint and varnish, but a much better result IMO.

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
timbo
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built my own vivs for etbs and gtp's - I simply bought coloured aquarium background and coated the inside faces of the wood before putting it together and then sealed the corners with silicone - completely successful

I have also used a fiberglass resin to paint the inside which is great but I dont like the way it looks
arthur cooke
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I used it with several vivs and found it ok, but in my wettest viv I lined the bottom with butyl and put a drain in. I saw a really good Idea for a viv, either here or on captive bred, where a viv was built on top of a bath, brilliant idea.
The paint I used was quite a strong exterior paint and water never seemed to get through it, it is always the base that's the hardest to proof.
Tiles work, using a waterproof tile grout, the type they use in swimming pools. also pond paint. It takes several coats tho.
cheers arthur
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arthur cooke wrote:
Hi, I used it with several vivs and found it ok, but in my wettest viv I lined the bottom with butyl and put a drain in. I saw a really good Idea for a viv, either here or on captive bred, where a viv was built on top of a bath, brilliant idea.
The paint I used was quite a strong exterior paint and water never seemed to get through it, it is always the base that's the hardest to proof.
Tiles work, using a waterproof tile grout, the type they use in swimming pools. also pond paint. It takes several coats tho.
cheers arthur

Arthur mate has it been a long day? Laughing Wink

arthur cooke
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile cheers arthur
mark_w
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Arthur.

I guess I have to stop thinking about it and build it before I need to worry about waterproofing it anyways!!!

Cheers,
Mark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: