Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Panther Viv
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrison
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi... 1stly, i think you would need a bigger viv than an exo-terra to keep an adult panther... What size is it?

i don't really know much about the exo-terras... i always thought they would be better for gecko's/frogs etc...

I gots my mesh from B&Q actually... think it was about £2 for a sqm... (ish)

it's stainless steel, but i would suggest getting some aluminum mesh. I've seen some people using it, and it looks a lot better... Plus, the little bugger likes to hang from it (the stuff i have) and end up hanging underneath the heat-lamp i have for him (which is a bit dangerous)...

Had to make some adjustments for him... so i'm thinking of changing my mesh to the aluminum... See how it goes..

Something like this might do;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aluminium-Grill-Mesh-Flyscreen-Mesh-600mm-x-500mm_W0QQitemZ250228865886QQihZ015QQcategoryZ41369QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Bert is getting along great... He's just started to shed as he went to bed tonight, so he should be finished by tomorrow night...!

Very Happy
frodo_walley
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the size would be WxDxH 60x45x60cm. I would have thought it lacks the height too, but after reading that i just wanted to check, maybe OK for a juvenile though??? i also have a much bigger viv spare which i used to keep leaf tailed geckos in. That measures WxDxH 60x60x120cm. The only thing is, the ventilation might not be so great, it has vents at the top but I'm not sure they would be sufficient. It would be good for the humidity and heat though. Do you think putting a couple of computer fans over the vents at the top would make it suitable? thanks
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frodo_walley wrote:
bigger viv spare which i used to keep leaf tailed geckos in. That measures WxDxH 60x60x120cm. The only thing is, the ventilation might not be so great, it has vents at the top but I'm not sure they would be sufficient. thanks

Why cut the sides away and replace with mesh? Or replace the door with mesh and the roof also? Warm air rises and will pull the cooler air in from the bottom.

Counting down the weeks til I get my Cham! My beardie is 10 1/2 years old Smile

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
frodo_walley
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing is, if i had to do all that i may as well buy a new viv, because that's such a lot of work. I will post some pics of the viv later. I considered the mesh instead of the doors, but the person who built the viv for me messed up and the glass doors are too big to be removed so short of smashing the glass and replacing with mesh there's not alot i can do there. Do you not think the computer fan idea would work? Thanks, Joel
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post pictures so we can see Smile Some people do use fans. A lot of people do cut parts out of sides and replace with mesh. Works well I thinkthey say. Saying that how will the glass work if you turn it on its side?!

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
frodo_walley
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are a couple of pics for when it was used for my uroplatus pietschmanni. They are the best i can do for now, i know they aren't great, sorry

hope that works. The roof is all glass, with holes cut for a UV light and a spot lamp, i know these would need to be covered for the chameleon. I think i would need to maybe cut some more glass away from the roof, as checking it today properly, the ventilation is just a 10cmx10cm square, although this worked well with the leaf tail i dint think it will be sufficient for a panther.
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a nice viv mate! See what you mean about not really being able to replace the sides with mesh. Think it may keep too much himidity in there - causing respiratory problems, Maybe best to start agains and use this one for something that would suit.

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
harrison
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.. Didn't realize it was like that...

I would prob suggest getting a new viv for a chameleon. You would have to cut out traps in the bottom on the glass and mesh them if you wanted it to work.. And also open up the top for some more airflow (as you said) But even then, the glass can be quite stressfull for chameleons...

Have a tink about it...
harrison
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh... and nice guitar... Wink
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharp eye there Harrison - yeap it is a lovely guitar! Wink

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: