Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Australia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a sod James Laughing

Amazing trip by the sounds of it man you're a lucky guy Cool look forward to seeing more pics!

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Thomas Shanta
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds amazing,look forward to hearing more Very Happy
Drymarchon32
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trip to Oz was a 3 week mission, it was a holiday where I landed in Sydney and had to ge to Perth for Xmas, meeting up with my Bro and my Dad. I also had the GF as a passanger, co-pilot and navigator, which made the trip somewhat easier than I had originally planned as I was going to do it all solo Confused
We covered 5,500km in just under 10 days so you can imagine we weren't exactly hanging about or spending hours looking for herps. Like any field herping, unless you already know the area, it takes a few days to find out where they are, and I just didn't have the time, until we got to Perth and then I was up at 5:30 the first morning and off looking for Tigers. This was before I found out that there was no point looking before 7:55am Smile

I was able to stop off in Victoria at Healesville Animal Sanctuary for a few hours and met up with the senior keeper on herps who took the time to show me the collection. Healesville is an exceptional place, set in the bush, with excellent enclosures and I would recommend a visit if you are ever able to. They even have Death Adders on display in vivs along the trails, which goes to show the advantages of keeping native species(just stick 'em outside and no more fuss!)

The other stop off was Venom Supplies. Just a few units nestled in amongst the vineyards, but also Australias largest venom production facility. Unfortunately I arrived later than expected, had driven more than 500km that day and got caught in traffic in Adelaide. Bummer, so time was limited and the guys stayed well after knocking off time to show me the collection. Which is simply amazing, and left me totally in awe.
One of the building holds nothing but Coastal Taipan, and the first three pictures are just the Coastals( I wish I could remember how many exactly but take my word for it, there are alot!). Animals were just in perfect condition and the place was spotless. I was wearing flip flops rather than my usual sturdy boots and just standing in the building with that many Taipan made my ankles feel very exposed for some reason. Shocked
Drymarchon32
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Unit contains a mixture of species. I've identified them as near as I can but it was a little rushed and my brain was melting Smile

Is there any way I can submit more than 3 pictures in a post?

Al
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a place I would want to walk around in flip flops Laughing

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
zarozinia
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I bet the venom place was an amazing experience.
Drymarchon32
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more.

To be honest I wasn't looking at the inland taipan that closely, I was watching how it was handled, mad skills. It really was impressive seeing how the animals were handled, but I guess when you get that much practice it becomes second nature. What a job!

Al
Drymarchon32
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last of the batch, a few of my favorites

Bitis arietans

Pseudonaja textilis

Pseudechis colletti

My personal Favorite-Pseudechis porphyriacus

Cluster of chaos
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Al!! It looks like you had an ausum trip and I wish I coulda come with you!!! Crying or Very sad Photos are fantastic and I especially like the Agkistrodon bilineatus Nice looking snake! Wink Looking forward to seeing the rest of your pics and hearing more of your travels over a takeaway!!
Soraya x

Be who you are and say what you feel......those who matter won't mind and those who mind don't matter.
trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you had a very enjoyable trip and they're some great shots you posted up Cool

Whats the common name of Elapid in the last photo?
Drop dead gorgeous mate! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: