Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zig my ten year old iguana

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Lizards - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reptile.man
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Zig my ten year old iguana Reply with quote

This is zig which i have had for ten year's. Is he the oldest iguana in england ? I know there are some good breeder's on this forum who will know someone that has kept them in the past. Thank's
Ryan
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good, 10 years is fairly good although I bought one for my brother about 15 years ago and he still has it.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Reptile.man
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ask this question on other forum's and had no luck with how long they live for. Now 15 has got to be the oldest iguana ive heard of. Would be nice to see a shot of him. Thank's scott
Ryan
Thimble
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was speaking to my vet the other day when I took my 5 yr old Ig for a check up, he was saying 5 was a good age for an Ig in captivity. I was suprised by this as I thought it was still quite young. He explained that in the wild in their natural habitat they can live for 20+ years. In captivity in a good climate and close to where they would naturally live in the wild they live for maybe 15 years. But over here as the weather is not really that suitable for them etc, they usually only live for 9 years or so. So I would say ten years is quite good and 15 years would be extremely good.
Jamesg
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely iggy you got there Smile
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reptile.man wrote:
I have ask this question on other forum's and had no luck with how long they live for. Now 15 has got to be the oldest iguana ive heard of. Would be nice to see a shot of him. Thank's scott
Ryan

He's not the best looking iguana, did suffer from MBD when it was younger, also lost strength in it's legs due to not climbing too much. He is now in a 6ft long x 6ft high x 2ft wide viv and has gained all his climbing strength back.

I bought the Iguana as a pet for him, on reflection i don't really recommend iguanas for anyone other than those who can devote an entire room as a cage for them. They certainly are beautiful animals but not one i like to see for sale in shops.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thimble wrote:
I was speaking to my vet the other day when I took my 5 yr old Ig for a check up, he was saying 5 was a good age for an Ig in captivity. I was suprised by this as I thought it was still quite young. He explained that in the wild in their natural habitat they can live for 20+ years. In captivity in a good climate and close to where they would naturally live in the wild they live for maybe 15 years. But over here as the weather is not really that suitable for them etc, they usually only live for 9 years or so. So I would say ten years is quite good and 15 years would be extremely good.

I would say that the VET may well be very knowledgeable in 'fixing' broken iguanas but saying that 5 years is a good age is way off the mark. There is NO reason why a captive iguana shouldn't live as long as a wild, if not longer (due to no predators). Of course a badly cared for ig (or any animal) will die a lot younger than it should but that's not the fault of 'captivity' but that of a bad keeper.

Thimble
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly Scott, that was why I was so surprised with his answer, I thought this kind of animal is a life time commitment and expecting him to live to at least 15 if not much longer.

The guy we use if a very reputable herp vet but sometimes I get the feeling he just likes to demean people. Let me explain that, he made us both feel really small when said, that he was still young.

Also when he asked what foods we feed him, he was like oohhh so do you not feed him this, do you not feed him that. When I said I don't really like to feed him spinach a lot as it is very high in oxalates, he really rubbished it and replied "Well I know what you have been reading, it's a load of rubbish that". I felt really small at this point and was thinking to myself, well he must know what he is on about, he is the vet here I am just the Iguana owner.
wayne
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my pet female ig is just over 5ft and is nearly 15 years old the person i had her from had her for ten years and i have had her nearly 5 she is in perfect health and i expect many more years together yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Lizards - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: