Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What vivs are you using for darts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Marquis
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: What vivs are you using for darts? Reply with quote

Hi

I stumbled across Atasuki vivariums. Anyone using them? Anyone know any info on them?

http://www.thecreaturefeature.co.uk/4.html

I guess the easiest viv to get hold of and use are the exo terra's, but are there any better ones out there more suitable to Dendrobate species?

thanks

Stuart
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those could work with some modifications (covering 80-90% of the mesh top with glass)

There's a few things you could use:

Aquariums: I personally use these a lot they work well for me I either use them stood on end with a custom insert from the US or make my own flip down doors using glass and a acrylic piano hinge.

similar set up for horizontal tanks.

Exoterras
I like a lot they need modifications such as glass top covering 80-90% of the mesh with a gap left in the middle for air flow.

The only trouble I see with these is fruit fly escapes and the occasional frog escape for the large gap left at the door hinge when opened but with careful observation this shouldn't happen.
I also hate the backgrounds which is easily solved.

specific dart frog vivariums
These are great to and front vents sliding doors everything you could wont but at a price and it's a case of finding them here.
I know a very good vivarium builder (just the glass box) who lives in Exeter but I'm not 100% sure that he still does it. Others I have seen made leak and will cut you to ribbons Shocked

Herptek wouldn't really work for darts since you have to have lighting inside the vivarium which is a recipe for disaster.

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Stuart Marquis
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul. What are these ones?;

http://www.urbanbromeliad.co.uk/vivaria.php

Also, are those heating and lighting "hoods" for exo's any good for darts?

http://www.dartfrog.co.uk/vivaria.html

cheers

Stuart
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16 inch acrylic cubes from FCA www.firstclassaquatics.com

I've shipped the inserts over from Paul but never the cubes, the ones in the pics on my site are from my time in the US Smile

As for the light hoods I wouldnt personally use them for darts.

Get a Dome reflector with a spiral compact florescent muxh cheaper and will work a whole lot better Cool
Or an arcadia over tank luminar they rock!

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Stuart Marquis
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those cubes from FCA look great! I might enquire about importing some as they would be pretty useful for my younger chondros and emeralds too!

Is nobody making anything like that this side of the pond, there must be a decent enough sized market for them!?!?

cheers

Stuart
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing just like those.. the ones pictured on my site are the older version I think the first set produced.

The new version is AWESOME with front base vents and the adjustable top vent Cool

Shipping them (the cubes) costs about the same as the vivariums them selfs Shocked

Stuart Marquis
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that still be the case if you bought say 10? Even if you have to double the price to ship it over it will still only work out at about £115 each. Not cheap, I know, but they do look great.
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno mate probably best to ask paul @ FCA Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: