Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FALSE WATER COBRAS
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johonny
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: FALSE WATER COBRAS Reply with quote

could i just ask how big do these guys grow and are they actually venomous Question . could anyone post pics of any.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rick_Albig
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen them at about the 6-7' mark. They really are stunning animals, they are rear fanged and from what i have hared they are not very dangerous (i would be concerned though if you are allergic to bee or wasp stings)

I'm not on my home PC so don't have any direct links to pics but if you look on the site linked below there is a pic of a baby on "Find Us" page in the bottom left corner.

This was a little stunner we had in a while ago, wish i had had him myself now Crying or Very sad

http://www.stockportpetwarehouse.co.uk/find/

Rick
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their venom has been compared to a timber rattlesnake, I have read that a few times dont know how reliable it is though but what I do know is they have a much poorer venom delivery system than any front fanged snake, and to get a really good bite they would have to chew on your arm, thus making them alot less dangerous, but I believe it was glider girl mentioned the other day that a freind of hers got bitten recently and his arm swelled up pretty badly.
johonny
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks peops it's just always good to have the info
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
leeroytheboy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "venom" from these is definately not that of a timber rattler! I can catagorically say, because a 6 ft specimen once got a friend of mine by the thumb, and had him all the way down chewing away for a good 7 minutes. Part of him was trying to ease the snkae off, part of him was curious to see what the effect was.

It seemed to have an anti-coagulant quality as he bled for hours after...but no swelling or anything like that. Just a bit tender.
ultimate_boides
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The "venom" from these is definitely not that of a timber rattler! I can categorically say, because a 6 ft specimen once got a friend of mine by the thumb, and had him all the way down chewing away for a good 7 minutes. Part of him was trying to ease the Snake off, part of him was curious to see what the effect was.

It seemed to have an anti-coagulant quality as he bled for hours after...but no swelling or anything like that. Just a bit tender.

The venom of the false water cobra is ni on 98% timber venom, the reason why your friend wasn't affected in the same way is because like you stated yourself the delivery systems itself is bad, you take the venom itself and inject it iv and see is he is still a bit tender.

Boiga has a very different way of delivery in my opinion, all boiga i have worked with are able to fully open there mouth in mid strike so therefore the fangs at the rear typically are in contact upon the bite rather than having to chew, i was bitten by a nigrceps and the affects were somewhat unpleasant, my arm swole up, i felt very dizzy and nauseous and had a head ache for a few hours. The animal in question was a large female however it was only a quick bite and the animal was attached for no longer than a minute tops.
ultimate_boides
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also have FWC not been added to the DWA, i cannot find any official documentation to say what has and hasnt been added.
leeroytheboy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

98%?! Wow....love to see the official papers on that if they are around. I know it has been said many times about how toxic the venom is, but its always from keepers who seem to "want" them to be a real hot, because they dont keep any. I kept a canebrake phase timber rattler for about 4 years, it was touching 6 foot and was as thick as my arm and believe me the thought of it getting me is a scary prospect. If however there are scientific papers on that comparison then I stand corrected. Surely the venom comparison between a colubrid and a pitviper are mismatched anyway. Colubrid venoms should match closer with elapids......you would almost think?!

No they are not on the Northern Ireland DWA as far as I know, but may be on the mainland one. Boiga dendrophilia came off mainland DWA but is still on ours. So I am not sure.
ultimate_boides
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they were investigating the comparisons at a toxicology lab over in the states, it was proved that the component's were pretty much the same however varied in levels hence not being completely the same venom.

Quote:
I know it has been said many times about how toxic the venom is, but its always from keepers who seem to "want" them to be a real hot, because they don't keep any

Seems rather strange to me why anyone would want there animal to be more dangerous than it is especially if they don't keep them, It really is a willy measuring competition you know who's snake is more dangerous, to be honest i have kept large crotalids and i agree the prospect of being nailed is far greater however like in your origin post a rear fanged animal will never posses as greater threat as a front fanged animal.

I think you spot on though with regards to the comparisons Colubrid venom's should match closer with elapids than vipers but who knows things are being discovered every day and I'm sure will continue to do so for a long time to come.

Having just looked it appears that FWC have gone onto the DWA.
leeroytheboy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Yeah I have spoke to a couple of Hydronastes keepers, and its a point of pride that they always mention the "timber" comparison. I just smile sweetly.

It just seems unreasonable to compare the venoms, when officially the only tag given to the FWC venom is "a mild anti-coagulant". If, as a colubrid, it really did carry seriously potent haemotoxic venom, then it would be a wonder. It would in my opinion, be the carrier of the neurotoxins of its very close relatives.

That absolutely sucks that they went DWA. I am beginning to think there should be levels of DWA, a rating system that will make "not very dangerous" DWA's a bit easier and cheaper to keep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: