Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how do you heat your corn snakes vivarium?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: how do you heat your corn snakes vivarium? Reply with quote

hi all,

i am slightly worried that the heating method i am using, recommended by my local reptile shop (Ameyzoo), is not working.
Basically i have 4 foot vivarium, with a very thin back wall, that stuff you often get on the back of cheap furniture. i was recommended to stick a long thin heater pad along the back. which does work, but it only seems to heat the wall, and does not seem to radiate into the viv. i have a thermostatwhcih i have set on 31c and if i put the sensor on the wall, the temperature is displayed as this, however if i move it more than a cm away the temperature is only 26c.

is this ok, or shoul i change something? how are you guys heating corns?

thanks

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
Lynne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use heat mat and stat. but on floor covered by waterproof material in case of accidents on the mat. the heat comes through and heats the decor ie logs etc in the viv. but the room is also heated too.
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's the thing really, where is the actual viv? and ambient temps aswell?

If's it's in a cold room, then I think a ceramic maybe a better choice but if the room is heated and the rest of the viv is ok, then I think it'll be ok.
Young_Gun
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynne wrote:
i use heat mat and stat. but on floor covered by waterproof material in case of accidents on the mat. the heat comes through and heats the decor ie logs etc in the viv. but the room is also heated too.

Burnt snake waiitin to happen.
Neffy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a wooden viv so i use a heatmat on the bottom of the inside of the viv, the heatmat is covered by a large piece of roofing slate to stop my snake comming into direct contact with the mat. I also have a matstat to keep my warm end temperate regulated at around 85., my cold end usually stays at around 75.
reptileboy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELL IN YM CORN VIV ITS A 2 foot by 2 foot viv and i use a heat lamp on a stat and it works fine
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies everyone

Quote:
I think that's the thing really, where is the actual viv? and ambient temps aswell?

If's it's in a cold room, then I think a ceramic maybe a better choice but if the room is heated and the rest of the viv is ok, then I think it'll be ok.

hi peaches, it is in my bedroom with all my other reptiles, and it is actually the hottest room in the house, obviuosly it fluctuates with the timne of year but ambient is normally about 18 to 21 C.

in the viv the back wall and about a cm in front of it is about 31C and about 3 inches away it is 27C. the temps furthest away from the heat are about 18 to 21.

The viv is lighted with a 2% UV light tube, on a timer which comes on at 10.00 and goes off at 10.30, giving a 12.5 hour day

The corns are feeding well on medium mice, and do alter between sitting at the back and sitting at the front on the viv, they have alot of cover in the form of cork bark, they can burrow in the substrate (which is a mixture of orchid bark and aspen). There is also one live potted plant, which they seem to like, and they both spend alot of time wrapped around it and sitting in the pot. they also have a large tree branch, which the often climb in the evening.

should i add another heat source to make a smaller raised hot spot? or change anything else in the viv.

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
Lynne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young_Gun wrote:
Lynne wrote:

Burnt snake waiitin to happen.

EH WATERPROOF MATERIAL!!! COVERED BY!
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked I always thought heat mats were covered in a waterproof material!? My mistake Cool

Lynne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the heat mats are covered in plastic. but are not 100% waterproof. neither is the element. so if you are using them on floor they should be covered by something totally waterproof. ie tile, slate etc.
i dont particularly like using them inside vivs. but i dont like heat lights either. prefer the mats and stats. thats just my opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: