Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Step by Step Rack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martinb20
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Step by Step Rack Reply with quote

Right ok i thought it was time i showed you guys what Ive been up to building my Rack.

Firstly not finished and now i feel i want to tweak a few thing but this is what i got so far.

what you need:

1. a plan (always a good start Smile )

2. Calculate how much wood you will need and find the cheapest place. (i got mine from http://woodsheets.co.uk/products.aspx i brought 10 sheets of 1300mm by 850mm by 25mm for £6 each. then cut them to size to fit your requirements.

3. how to heat the rack, I went down the heat cable root ( but as its not finished yet i cant say if i need a hotter cable maybe floor heat cable instead of reptile heat cable) but anyway once you found out how much you need route out a thin line near the back of each shelf layer. and cover with aluminum tape to reflect the heat. (it can be a bit tricky and will take a few attempts until you find the correct technique).

4. decide how much gap you want between each shelf ( depends on you box sizes Ive got a mixture of RUB 50L's, 18L's and 9L's.
then drill some pilot holes so when you come to screw it together you don't split the wood.

5. Attach the brackets that will support your shelf's (i found it much easier and quicker to do this now rather then later.

6. attached the base , sides and top together

7. slide in the shelf's

8. add your boxes

*note now i think i want to change this design and split the bottom 2 or top 2 into built in Viv's not sure just yet though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PaulG
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has come together really well.
Was there a reason for making it with lidless boxes?
It looks great! Smile

I would like to get one of these done one day.

:.Rhacodactylus.:.Eublepharis.:.Stenodactylus.:.Nephrurus.:
martinb20
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lidless? mine are with lids but as i said at the bottom of the post ill will be tweaking the design slightly to incorporate some vivs as well so i might close the gaps between each shelfs to make it a lidless racking system for easyer use as ive started to find out that having a lid for my geckos is being a bit annoying
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PaulG
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I ment not lidless.

Well keep us posted on any improvments.

:.Rhacodactylus.:.Eublepharis.:.Stenodactylus.:.Nephrurus.:
DrAdam
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you find that a single run of cable got hot enough ?

Never take life too seriously, no-one gets out alive anyway
Jase
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrAdam wrote:
did you find that a single run of cable got hot enough ?

Adam, I've found that a single run of heat cable is adequate for hatchlings and that's about it. I presume it would differ depending on the type of cable though. I would be interested to find out if Martin's was sufficient.

DrAdam
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've literally just finished mine and am in the testing stages, I think the cable I have is zoo med, its 12m long and 100W... I have put foil in the channel to try and reflect heat upwards and then covered with foil but it doesnt seem to be getting hot enough Confused
When you touch the cable it is as hot as a mat, I'm thinking that the cable perhaps needs to be in contact with the wood for it to spread ???? I'm of the opinion that if one run wont do it then two wont, as putting another run in will just make the hot spot wider, not hotter Rolling Eyes Maybe I need to pad the groove out with something so it is in contact all the time ??

Never take life too seriously, no-one gets out alive anyway
Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thats great looking. but i got lost at 'you need a plan'. i wouldnt do the rep cable, i have this on my royal rack, and have to back it up with heat mats. so its coming off and mats are going down. but thats so breat looking, well done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: