Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hoping I've Not Been Had !!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptile Classifieds Scammer Warnings (do not post adverts!)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kazcameron76
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Hoping I've Not Been Had !! Reply with quote

Placed a wanted ad in the classifieds, had replies from a few foreigeners and then a genuine sounding seller, no english spelling mistakes , very friendly, knew what they were talking about, arranged courier to be delivered today (this was on Monday night) gave me paypal address to send payment to, thing is paypal name and name used in first email are both totally different and hotmail accounts, so tried emailing both accounts and no replies, hopefully I've not just lost £120
peaches
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the easiest ways to find out if it's a scammer is put the details in google, they quite often come up. If not don't know what else to say.
H.S.
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say whether it is a scam or not, but if it helps, I don't have a Paypal account, but my wife does, so if you were dealing with me, the Paypal details would be totally different from my details.
Also, don't Paypal have a scheme whereby you can claim against somebody for not sending the goods you have purchased?.
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup paypal is one of the safer ways to spend money as you can claim it back if the deal goes sour in most cases Cool

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you the details of the advert? PM if you wish. I will then check out the IP address location, that should hopefully confirm if it's a scammer.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed just as I pressed submit I realise YOU placed the adverts Sad

Have you anyway of getting their IP addresses from the emails you were sent?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
kazcameron76
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott W wrote:
Embarassed just as I pressed submit I realise YOU placed the adverts Sad

Have you anyway of getting their IP addresses from the emails you were sent?

Hi, I really dont know, not very clued up on computers, but I did do a google search as recommended and of both names I googled one was a singer the other an actress, I also tried to add both addys as contacts in my msn account to try and get details but both names are either private or have no friends, sounding more suss all the time.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would always strongely recommend the following for anyone buying or even selling via the internet.

1) get a phone number from the seller and try it

2) get a location for payment etc and then google map it to see where it is

3) do a simple google search on their email address and name etc

4) if it's for a large value ASK them for a recommendation (and follow it up as much you can).

kazcameron76
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I never received my items and there was no reply to my emails so I opened a claim with paypal and will find out today whether or not they can refund the money, that will teach me to jump in head first. And thanks for the advice Scott will definitely do a bit more research in the future.

Karen
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

real sorry to hear that Karen, I'm afraid there will always be scammers out there, all you can do is use your best judgement to find them.

In the new ReptileClassifieds we will list some precautions you can take to try and weed the scammers out. (new site is just a few weeks away...just going through the testing stage)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptile Classifieds Scammer Warnings (do not post adverts!) All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: