Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

African Pygmy hedgehog care?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Young_Gun
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: African Pygmy hedgehog care? Reply with quote

Thinking bout getting one of these and got the basics on care sorted, just wondered if anyone had any tips or advice on em?
Any pics of setups would be great and if anyone knows a good breeder in the north west that would be mint Smile
stubeanz
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i keep a few of these i used to keep them in wire cages sort of like chinchila cages but have now changed that and keep them in these large cages ment for indoor guinea pigs (like giant hamster cages) i shall try to get some pictures to show you what i mean.
I use aubiose as a substrate, provide a large wheel and a water bottle.
I feed them a mixture of iams cat biscuit, natural hedgehog mix called spikes hedgehog mix, mealworms and small ammount of vegetables.
They can be kept on heatmats but mine are kept in a reptile shed and so is quite warm in there for them so i dont use heatmats.
they do well and have been breeding recently although i am not up north im afraid hope this helps
stu
Young_Gun
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like these?:

A local shop has one in for £125 but its adult and seriously pyscho, hisses like mad when you go near it and tries to spike you, I want a calm baby Cool
SnakeGuy
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres some chocolate ones on the classifieds, might be a bit far from you though Confused
stubeanz
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes like them but with larger hides Very Happy i got the cages at pets at home for quite an ok price.
£125 is an average price for them i have seen normals bettween £100 - 150 but i brought my albino for £250 quite expensive but she was too cute to resist Laughing there are a few around now so good luck in finding some Smile
stu
WelshBoa
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the general "smell" like on these? If they were tucked in the corner of a living room would there be much of a natural odour to them? Obviously if the cage is clean do they still spray etc like ferrets?
stubeanz
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

their poo is quite smelly but if taken out every day i would say there is only a slight smell but obviously the more you have the more smell there is, so with 1 i would say theres hardly any smell.
one thing i would say about the cages is that you have to make sure they wont be able to squeeze through the bars, anything bigger than one inch they can get through and when the hoglets grow up they can easily squeeze through so i put mesh on the cages with youngsters in Smile
stu
WelshBoa
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they only come around in "seasons" by which I mean is this the wrong time of year to be looking for hoglets? Tried googling a few breeder websites but they all seem to be not upto date.
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stubeanz. where did you get yours from? as i also live in hertfordshire, and the only place i know fo that sells them is ameyzoo.

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
stubeanz
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i swapped some chinchillas for 2 off a women in kent and i brought the albino off of simons rodents, so not from any petshops.
im not sure about seasons but my albino bred june time and a normal has been mated the other week and is growing VERY plump.
not sure wether i can say this but i have an albino for sale at the moment if anyone is intrested Wink
stu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: