Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leaf Insects

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neep_neep
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Leaf Insects Reply with quote

Hi,

I posted up some photos of my leaf insect nypmhs quite a while ago, and the conclusion was that they were likely Phyllium 'phillipines' spp.

Well, they have now reached adulthood, so I thought i'd just double check their ID now they are fully grown Smile

First photo is the 2 females (one on the left only moulted a few days ago) and one of the males.

And size comparison - the biggest female on my hand:

Just want to be sure on their ID, as i'm planning on putting a couple of the males on the classifieds Smile

Thanks! Smile
[/img]
keiron
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep they look just like the Phillipines i had, and they are looking good! I miss my leaf insects, especially the giganteum i may have to get back into them after seeing these pics of yours! Cool
mcfluffin
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're beautiful. Do they fly? (I should know these things...my PhD is entomology based Embarassed )
Forum Granny

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I do wish that I had the room / time / money for a zoo.... They are gorgeous. Do they multiply quickly, and what do they eat please ?

Sue
neep_neep
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Very Happy Though i've also been told they are Phyllium siccifolium - looking at photos they do look a bit like both Laughing But probably more like Philippines...

mcfluffin - No, i've not seen them fly - the males flutter their wings at me though when i'm changing their food plants! I've not seen the females open their wings at all. What's your PhD on?

Sue, they multiply veeeery slowly Laughing I got these as nymphs at the beginning of the year, and they have just reached adulthood. They have laid a couple of eggs so far, but hopefully i'll get a few more as the weeks go by. I think then the eggs will then take a good few months to hatch...you can actually get leaf insect eggs on ebay and hatch them yourself.

I feed mine on bramble - though apparently they go mad for Guava leaves! Unfortunately, not something I have just growing in the garden Laughing
mcfluffin
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neep_neep wrote:
. What's your PhD on?

STDs in ladybirds that control scale insects Laughing...I'm in the field of biological pest control
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: