Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

getting a DWA in the s/e
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
molurus
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: getting a DWA in the s/e Reply with quote

I've been keeping reptiles for 20 year's now and would like to start keeping just one or two hot's in my collection,
i know the local council dog warden who is responsible for issuing the license, i even went to collage with him and he knows i been into herp's for a long time.
i went to see him about a license a while ago and haven't heard from him since. does anybody know who else i can contact about applying for the license in the s/e area?
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your local council is the place to go, go to thier website search DWAAL and you should find the aplication form.

Fill it out and then send it in Wink and things will start.

I dont think just talking to some one is gonna do anything tho as they need the aplication

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
molurus
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: DWA s/e Reply with quote

OK Cheer's for the in-put.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 'dog warden' doesn't really sound like the guy responsible, phone the council, ask for public protection/ licensing department. Ask if they have issued any DWA licenses in the borough and if it was for reptiles. Then ask what they would be looking for in order to issue one and obviously an application form.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shouldnt it be the enviromental health officer?
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine comes under Public Protection / Licensing, I guess each council can put it under whoever they wish.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Mememe
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...No matter how incompetent Laughing

No man is an Island. Except the Isle of Man.
Wullie
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our area, Falkirk council, issues permits via the animal welfare officer, who is part of the environmental health dept. there arent any in our area at the mo but there was a couple up until last year for caimens and various monkeys. they are open to applications depending on husbandry aspects, so dont be put off. I saw a thread like this on anothe forum i think last year and it looked like some councils were charging the earth, possibly to put people off, and other councils were barely charging enough to cover the paperwork.

best of luck

wullie
trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: getting a DWA in the s/e Reply with quote

molurus wrote:

i know the local council dog warden who is responsible for issuing the license

Sorry but how exactly is a dog warden supposed to have the correct knowledge and experiance enough to know about the husbandry and safety concerns of keeping venomous snakes in captivity?
Your council should have someone more appropriate to be responsible for inspections and issueng DWA lisenses.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: getting a DWA in the s/e Reply with quote

trueviper_UK wrote:
molurus wrote:

i know the local council dog warden who is responsible for issuing the license

Sorry but how exactly is a dog warden supposed to have the correct knowledge and experiance enough to know about the husbandry and safety concerns of keeping venomous snakes in captivity?
Your council should have someone more appropriate to be responsible for inspections and issueng DWA lisenses.

Laughing What's the chances of ANY council actually having someone with knowledge or experiance in DWA reptiles Laughing Basically that's why they get a vet involved, just so they can say they had a 'professional' on the inspection if something later went wrong and a member of the public was injured.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: