Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Desert-Horned Viper (warning~pic heavy)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Desert-Horned Viper (warning~pic heavy) Reply with quote

Ok so those of you who may have read my previous posts will know that when I first joined Captivebred early this year I was struggling to add the last viper to my collection.

It took me a long time to source one of these little guys but now that I have her I can say she was definately worth the wait.

She is a wild caught Desert-Horned Viper from the Sahara desert regions of Egypt and is a fascinating addition to my collection. Her behaviour is completely different to everthing else that I have worked with thus far.

Also I have never known such an enthusiastic feeder, literally exploding from underneath the sand whenever a food item enters her enclosure.

This is one little viper that I have to be especially careful with whenever I have to work with her Rolling Eyes

I hope you like her Smile

Thanks for looking Very Happy
kroakykaren
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow she is stunning Very Happy
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. Very nice animal. I kept a trio some years ago but never bred them. They are fascinating both to look at and to study.
BTW, do you keep your snakes in a rack system? I do think I recognize the plastic box in the picture as the one you can buy at IKEA Wink
trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goliath wrote:

BTW, do you keep your snakes in a rack system? I do think I recognize the plastic box in the picture as the one you can buy at IKEA Wink

Thanks for the comments mate.

My juvenile vipers (and one non-venomous colubrid) are kept in plastic tubs which are then locked away in a heated Herptek vivarium.

My small collection doesn't really warrant a racking system and besides, in order to satisfy the safety concerns of DWA lisense inspectors (and my housemates) I feel this is the better solution.

Once they reach suitable sizes they will all be housed seperately in Herpteks as my Gaboon and Puff Adder already are.

Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice mate and glad you sourced one...great series of shots as well.. Cool
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are beautiful snakes, nice additions
davo
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got one! Awesome! Great looking animal. How deep do you have the sand with these guys? Is there any particular sand they do best in, or a type that is no good for them? Your animals are so lucky to have their substrate of 20's...
trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sand in the tub is only about an inch deep but it's enough for her to submerge herself fully as she often does as they also do in their natural enviroment, which is the whole point of using sand in the first place.

I cant remember what the sand is called but you buy it in pet shops, it comes in different colours and is blooming expensive. £7 for a small bag!
But since I only have to fill a small tub it's not too bad I suppose and it is good sand.

When she is big enough for her own viv I shall use play-pit sand, and thats advice from a viper-keeping friend of mine who's kept for 20 years plus so.....
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done for finally tracking one down, horned vipers are one of my favorites, don't think I'll ever sell mine.

I use Bird sand for mine, play sand is a little too fine.

You're lucky with the feeding, I had to forcefeed my male for almost 12 months before he would eat. Also used to have to force feed 3 or 4 at my local reptile shop a few years back as they wouldn't feed for a few months either (always seems to be the males that wouldn't feed).

Great photos too!

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Phil1988
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, I like the devil horns Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: