Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eeek! Frankie! :S

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Indigo Blue Fish
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Eeek! Frankie! :S Reply with quote

Wow, was I bricking it...
For those that don't know, when a crab is overly upset/stressed etc, they often lose legs as a result.

And seeing this carnage got me worried.
As you can see in the "Claws all over" photo, there's two long orange legs by his side, one hooked one behind him, and you can just make out his major claw laid in front of him. I'm going "Ohhhhh noooo..." by this point.
I didn't move him, or take any more photos, because I don't want to upset him.

BUT - all is well, all that's happened is that he's shed his exoskeleton, and not eaten all the bits yet; at the top of his shell you can just make out his new claws, in delicate pink! Moulting is a stressful time for hermits, so I'm going to leave him alone for a few more days, gives me time to finish building his crabitat. (As he's in temporary accommodation. It's plenty warm, humid with sand and climbables, but not ideal.)

It means he'll be all shiny and happy when it's done, and hopefully his damaged whiskers (antennae) will have regrown.

I know he's male, because he's brave enough to lean right out of his shell when he wants something - on the back few leg joints where they connect to the body, females have little round markings - males don't! (Hope that helps some hermiters out there!)
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Crabitat'! I love that!

Seriously though, I'm glad he's OK, and look forward to pics of him in his new home! Very Happy
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't call me stupid but...................... What the heck is that?
hermit crab?????
Very Happy
MATT
Indigo Blue Fish
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, he's a small tree hermit! Lovely little guy, seems to really like picking just the mankiest shells...

I had a peep in at him later the same afternoon, and realised he'd got up and gone for a walk - so his shell's just about tough enough, hardened up so that he feels secure.

I picked him up then, and sweet little creature, he didn't even stuff his head back under his shell (he's VERY tame now), just "blinked" at me with two shiny black eyes on coral pink eyestalks.

Tell you what though, his old carapace was worn down, battered, chipped (doncha love pet stores?!) - he had claw ends missing and his smaller pincer was badly broken. But now they're all replaced, fresh and shiny in rosy pink, with wickedly sharp little black pointed tips and those funny fine hairs hermits have.

When he hangs on, you REALLY know about it now. But I'll soon get his Crabitat set up, and move him into there - the wood is tougher and he can use his new claws and get plenty of exercise. I'm hopping the repaired grabber claw means he'll vary his diet more. His sniffer antennae are in good shape and he uses them a lot more - his other antennae are still very short, but he seems happy enough.

Will take some more pics when I have time - it's a busy day today, as I have a delivery coming in.

Yeah, not sure where I've got "Crabitat" from, but it's appropriate Very Happy
Hehehe, I've even built him/them (cuz there's two more hermits arriving today too) a fountain to go in it.
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I realy enjoyed reading this thread! What an interesting little guy Laughing

To me, that is what exotic pets are all about. Keeping something fascinating like that. I will look forward to hearing more about him, good luck with the little fella Cool
Gimpy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea this is very interesting. I am now an official Frankie fan! i cant believe I'm finding a crab cute (!) but he is! Good luck with the new arrivals btw
Darky
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel a thread devloping ' The Frankie tales' LOL

James
mattrethy
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is amazing. what kinda stuff does he eat and do you house him in a fish tank?
Very Happy
MATT
Indigo Blue Fish
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*chuckles* Thank you all, Frankie is very flattered, he wiggles his sniffers at you all.

At the moment, he's in a small plastic tank, which isn't suitable for him.
However, the crabitat I am building is indeed based on a fish tank - but only the glass box and lid.

They need it very humid to survive, as their "lungs" are actually modified gills - 70RH and above, so his plastic tank has a sheet of bubble wrap covering 80% of the top, held in place by a vented lid.

The crabitat will have a fountain in it as mentioned, along with a heatmat (so no having to sit the temp.tank on lighting units of other tanks any more!) as they like it fairly warm - 24C above. They can go 21, but not for long periods so I gather.

As for food... Well. This is a bone of contention with me. I offer Frankie all manner of succulent dinner items, from chicken, fresh raspberries, cereals - ANYTHING going (not starchy foods, and they have a love of peanut butter) - and will the little toerag eat any of it?!

Not that I've noticed. He may have eaten a peice of processed ham (pff, you can't help some creatures...). I discovered how he's sustained himself earlier. Little so and so keeps pickling bits of corkbark off the chunks and scarfing them!

However, watch this space, as the delightful Rickeezee has supplied me with two new friends for him! (Hermits are social creatures, despite the name.)
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant wait to see him and his pals in their new home Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: