Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

worlds deadlist snake
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh its a rough estimate on human bites
Drymarchon32
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been very interested in the action of snake venoms and one of the few we got to play with at Uni was alpha bungaro toxin from Bungarus fasciatus. It causes the synapse of the nerve to flood with acetyl choline and destroys acetyl choline esterase(if my memory serves me well it was a few years ago now), making the nerve connection completely useless, which basically means you die a very quick and painful death. Not much fun.
Then there is the Russels Viper which not only destroys tissue but also affects the pituitary gland causing a reversal of puberty, ie. not much fun if you survive anyway.
I did hear one account of a guy in Europe being bitten by a black mamba and was kept alive for 28 days on a life support machine, and came out of it without long term damage due to the high neurotoxicity of the venom. Personally I would rather sleep for a month than lose a limb or worse. Confused
Worlds deadliest snake is the venomous one that bit you but you didn't see, gonna cause you lots of hassle. Sad

Al
thomas mcpherson
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do agree
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drymarchon32 wrote:
I've always been very interested in the action of snake venoms and one of the few we got to play with at Uni was alpha bungaro toxin from Bungarus fasciatus. It causes the synapse of the nerve to flood with acetyl choline and destroys acetyl choline esterase(if my memory serves me well it was a few years ago now), making the nerve connection completely useless, which basically means you die a very quick and painful death. Not much fun.
Then there is the Russels Viper which not only destroys tissue but also affects the pituitary gland causing a reversal of puberty, ie. not much fun if you survive anyway.
I did hear one account of a guy in Europe being bitten by a black mamba and was kept alive for 28 days on a life support machine, and came out of it without long term damage due to the high neurotoxicity of the venom. Personally I would rather sleep for a month than lose a limb or worse. Confused
Worlds deadliest snake is the venomous one that bit you but you didn't see, gonna cause you lots of hassle. Sad

Al

with pre or post synaptic nuerotoxins they both effect the synaptic gap, pre synaptic prevents acetylcholine being sent across the gap and post synaptic neurotoxins stop the acetylcholine binding on the other side, antivenom cant reverse the effects but people are put on ventilators until the nerve synapes can fix themselves and quite often survive
Drymarchon32
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, I knew someone on here would have all the correct info.
Any more info on venoms and their content, or specific actions would be most gratefully recieved. My knowledge is somewhat out of date, too many years working in hot environments is my excuse. Smile
Thanks SiUK

The venomous snakes that have always been a worry for me, for whatever reason have been, Saw scales, taipan and black mamba, they all strike me as the least predictable, most ready to strike and with the highest potentcy. Anyone else got a list of snakes that they would rather leave well alone?

Having trawled through the list of potentcy of venoms there is a massive difference between the subcutaneous, intramuscular, intravenus effecects of venoms on the LD50, just have a look at http://www.venomdoc.com/LD50/LD50men.html
For sure a small sea snake is never going to give an intramuscular bite but it sure questions the validity of "most venomous" when testing with mice.

Al

Al
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically the other day I decided that I was gonna learn what different venoms do and understand it and Neurotoxins were the first ones I looked at in any sort of depth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: