Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting out with reptiles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Starting out with reptiles Reply with quote

Afternoon all, I am very keen on getting into keeping reptiles and have a good range of experiences with other animals, but basically I am struggling on deciding what to start with.

Chameleons are my dream lizard, but on second third and fourth thoughts I dont just want to dive into something so delicate and sensitive to its environment.. and I want to get some experience first.

The missus really wants a snake as a friend of ours keeps some lovely pythons (which I really like too), but I would prefer to go for something else to start with (have been looking at milk snakes and corn snakes)

Also geckos seem to be fairly good as a starting block but I am unsure of the handling side of things here.

So basically I am looking at obtaining both a snake (docile, handlable) to get the missus and myself used to them and keep long term, and also some geckos perhaps for myself to gain experience with.

Both things need to be handleble and not too expensive... preferably I would like to buy 2 x 38 - 48 inch vivariums and plant them up with a nice forest based design with actively growing plants in them (would this be too big or too small?) and be able to keep at least a few geckos in one and 1 snake in other.

Any advice appreciated as I tend to just jump into things otherwise and usually succeed very well but I dont want any avoidable problems for both me and the animals.

On a final note any animals I have must be of no threat to cats as we have two cats which we both adore and there is always a slim as hell chance of them coming face to face and I would rather my cats did not die or get eaten Wink (I am very careful but you just never know!)

thanks as always
aidan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearded dragons are a good starter and more lively than a gecko but both have good characteristics and from your cats point of view a snake may eat a cat if it got out depending on what snake it was

hope that helps

2.4. beardies
1.1 fire n uce beardies
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
0.0.1 corns
0.0.2 crested geckos
Cluster of chaos
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hey - if your thinking of getting a snake then I'm my honest opinion a corn snake is probably your best bet, their easy to handle, have a good temperament and are relatively easy to maintain as well. On the lizard side of things, I'd probably say leopard geckos are a good choice. Let us know what you decide to get and how you get on!! Wink

Be who you are and say what you feel......those who matter won't mind and those who mind don't matter.
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cluster of chaos wrote:
Hey hey - if your thinking of getting a snake then I'm my honest opinion a corn snake is probably your best bet, their easy to handle, have a good temperament and are relatively easy to maintain as well. On the lizard side of things, I'd probably say leopard geckos are a good choice. Let us know what you decide to get and how you get on!! Wink

those were some of the things I had been eyeing up to be honest, the leopard geckos are the ones with the big noses? ( I heard they can be very very tame).. and corn snakes also I hear are nice.

What are the bearded dragons like? not too large and handleable?
aidan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good
Ive got 4 bearded dragons never been bit. been bit by my leopard geckos a few times, the bearded dragons are a bit bigger adult size 15inc to 20inc which takes about a year and they aren't nocturnal leopard geckos are nocturnal

2.4. beardies
1.1 fire n uce beardies
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
0.0.1 corns
0.0.2 crested geckos
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidan wrote:
very good
Ive got 4 bearded dragons never been bit. been bit by my leopard geckos a few times, the bearded dragons are a bit bigger adult size 15inc to 20inc which takes about a year and they aren't nocturnal leopard geckos are nocturnal

can you recommend a captive bred breeder website? I am not too keen on exotic pets when it comes to delivery etc.. (nice people but real random order processing and lots of wild caught stuff)

thanks, are water dragons just as good? (rather keen on them too)
aidan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a breeder but have none available at the mo about 2 or 3 weeks and then they will hatch but have a look at my site www.freewebs.com/beardeddragonbreeder but any local shop will have babies for sale and water dragons require more space and are not as easy to look after and more skittish

2.4. beardies
1.1 fire n uce beardies
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
0.0.1 corns
0.0.2 crested geckos
aidan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IL upload some new pics l8er

2.4. beardies
1.1 fire n uce beardies
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
0.0.1 corns
0.0.2 crested geckos
sushi
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first reptile was a bearded dragon, and i love her to bits , shes active and tamed also bearded dragons are very responsive compared with other lizards , ive had mine for about 17 moths now

crested gecko/ 0.1.0
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good snakes are corn snakes (the best option), hognose snakes, king snakes and milk snakes.

the best lizards are bearded dragons, leopard geckos, crested geckos and rankins dragons.

in my opinion rankins dragons are a better lizard for a beginner than a bearded because beardies get quite large (40 cm) and require quite hard to handle and require large (48 inch) vivaria. Rankins only get around 20cm look very similar, and a single adult requires only a single 24 inch vivarium, and a group of 1.2, (meaning one male and two females) can live happily in a 36 inch vivaria, there care is identical to bearded dragons.

good luck with your choice and new reptile Very Happy

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: