Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

exeter rep show Cancelled!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Upcoming Shows / Events & reviews of previous reptile expos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aidan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

o my bad Embarassed
i only read the last page sorry about that
that is shocking Crying or Very sad

2.4. beardies
1.1 fire n uce beardies
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
0.0.1 corns
0.0.2 crested geckos
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as this could breach Section 2 of the Pet Animals Act 1951.
“The Act seeks to ensure that animals are bought and sold only in humane and regulated conditions. The organisers of Expo 2007 were advised that the show could go ahead if the animals were exhibited but not sold”.

The council are quite clear in the fact that they are happy for the show to take place as an EXHIBITION only, nothing to be bought or sold. This is on the grounds of animal welfare and ensuring the animals are kept in suitable conditions awaiting sale to comply with the rule above.

So if the show went a head but nothing was for sale the animals would still of been in the same tubs/boxes/vivs as when they were for sale but the council would be 'happy' and no laws broken. Just goes to show the rulings aren't really consistent or for the 'welfare of animals' but more just to stop the trade and interest in them.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
www.exreptile.com
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jas wrote:
Well there site says it all, especially this line taken from the site.
Please do NOT email or telephone either Nick or Jason, as emails will generally be ignored.
Im sure they are p****d off but if they dont email all the people that have paid for there tables there will be alot of other people p****d too.
Im going to email the hotel now to see if i can get my 70 quid for the room back!

When we changed the venue, both of us were inundated with calls and emails asking about it and, to be honest, I couldn't be arsed with any more hassle with the cancellation that absolutely necessary. Sure, people would be very angry and annoyed by the last-minute bad news and I am extremely sorry for the inconvenience, but don't forget that A LOT of people put A LOT of time into the show. I've lost money to it, I took time off work for it. I even got up early on occasions to contact people/update the website etc for it.

As for the press release from EDDC, I got the phone call from a woman at Rolle College (who me and Jason went to meet on friday the 11th) stating that she had just spoken to a person from EDDC and she stated to me that if the show was to go ahead they would "raid" (exact word she used) and arrest then prosecute any person caught selling vertibrates (inverts aren't included in legislation). As a result of this, and the issues surrounding Rolle College at present, they were not prepared to grant us use of the hall.

The reason I said don't bother emailing us is because it will do f*** all good. The show is cancelled - you know that and the reasons were posted, by me, on the website. What more explaining do you need? Do you honestly really think that anyone was more pissed off than, say, the organisers? I do care for the people who have lost out, don't get me wrong, but with dozens and dozens of people to contact - table holders, newspapers, radio stations (I was going to be live on BBC Radio Devon on the Saturday) etc, if EVERYONE emailed or rang us, it would be a huge waste of time and would restrict our ability to contact those who needed contacting e.g. the table holder from further away.

As for whoever said it was our fault for not notifying the council; as far as I am aware, shows aren't licenced and thus we are not bound by law to inform the council. We've held this show before with no difficulty and were trying to create a huge show to attract everyone from nearby and far away.

Don't you dare try to blame the people organising this show. People always bitch and moan that there aren't any events or groups in their area, well at least we're getting off our arses and trying to do something about it.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's extremely bad news for the whole herp community in the UK that the show didn't go a head and was stopped by the council, does this leave ALL shows open to the same fate?

Nick/Jason, do you know if there was an element of AR pressure on the council to get the show stopped?

Are you planning on trying to organise another?

I can completely understand your disappointment and anger after all the work you put into the show but I can also see how your website message would of upset those who booked and had made arrangements to come down, after all it wasn't there fault either.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
www.exreptile.com
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware, there wasn't any pressure from AR groups towards the councils to pull the plug on the show...but I may be wrong.

We are hoping to be able to organise another, however more information wont be available until after we have met with the local councils and got any disagreements sorted and so on, which will resolve all of the issues which popped up this year.

I can understand peoples "upset" at how I worded what I put on the website, however efforts were made by Jason to contact all table holders individually as soon as it was known the show couldn't go ahead. Anyone who contacted me regarding the show would have also recieved an email. If you consider there were around 65-70 table holders taking over 120 tables (which there was), if everyone decided to bombard us with emails, it would take a long time to read through and respond to them all and would obstruct efforts to contact all the other table holders etc. I apologise if anyone was upset by what I put on the website, as that was far from my intention. I was trying to get as many people informed as soon as possible with as little trouble as possible (these efforts were made even more difficult with people emailing around saying it wasn't cancelled).

Again I apologise for the inconvenience, and hopefully we will be able to recreate this show sometime next year, and show all of the people trying to stop these events that we will not go quietly.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with any future shows Wink

kingsnake
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pet Animals Act 1951 (as amended in 1983) currently controls the sale of all animals as pets from licensed premises. This Act requires any person selling pet animals in the course of a business to be licensed by the local authority. Before granting a licence the authority must satisfy itself that the animals are kept in accommodation that is suitable and clean, that they are supplied with the appropriate food and drink, and that they are protected from disease and fire. It is an offence to sell pets in a street or public place, or at a stall or barrow in a market.

Local authorities have in the past interpreted the 1951 Act differently. Some have considered that pet fairs can be licensed under the 1951 Act, while others considered that such events cannot be licensed. The High Court has recently made a judgment on a Judicial Review about the issuing of a licence, under the Pet Animals Act 1951, to the organisers of a pet fair. One of the findings from the Judicial Review was that local authorities could not issue licences under the 1951 Act to organisers of pet fairs, where these events involved the sale of animals, as part of a business, to members of the public.

In the light of the judgment, we decided to review our proposal to regulate pet fairs, through secondary legislation to be made under the Animal Welfare Act 2006.

The Government now proposes to prohibit the sale of animals, where this is part of a business, to members of the public at pet fairs. However, we also propose to make exceptions to this prohibition in the case of koi carp shows, racing pigeon sales and poultry sales.

Those events where there is either no selling of animals to members of the public, or where there is selling of animals but where it is not in the course of a business, such as hobbyists selling excess stock, will continue to take place.

All events where there are animals present will be subject to the welfare offence whether or not they are specifically regulated by the local authority.

The Government believes that the revised proposals on pet fairs together with its proposals to raise the standards of pet vending generally, as well as the introduction of the welfare offence for companion animals, provide the best protection yet for animals at pet fairs.

The Government’s proposals on pet fairs will be subject to wide consultation in due course.
aidan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't quite get all that.
so if someone could simplify it for dumb idiots like me

2.4. beardies
1.1 fire n uce beardies
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
0.0.1 corns
0.0.2 crested geckos
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidan wrote:
didn't quite get all that.
so if someone could simplify it for dumb idiots like me

A member of the government or lobby groups is a big Koi fan so has managed to keep the koi hobby safe!

aidan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k will all the other shows go a head still?

2.4. beardies
1.1 fire n uce beardies
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
0.0.1 corns
0.0.2 crested geckos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Upcoming Shows / Events & reviews of previous reptile expos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: