Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yemens Housing / Breeding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Yemens Housing / Breeding Reply with quote

Yemens
New here so Hi
Am setting up housing for Yemen(s), vivarium; 36length, depth 24, height 48 inches. Considering a reptisun 10 for light and a 150W basking lamp. Will this be adequate for lighting and heating. Can the young (when mature) of this species be bred if they are from the same parents. Long term stress factor; can a male and two females co-habit, is there any evidence for long term stress if they do, they may appear to be OK but in reality the hidden stress might not show in the short term? I have read conflicting articles and would appreciate your views. I have read the previous threads on the co-habit topic, very interesting. Would appreciate peoples experiences. Thank you for time in answering my questions. Rick

Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump* Wink

Great question Rick, it slipped by me Embarassed

I think you housing question has been answered in another thread now. As for you inbreeding question the answer is YES, they can be bred together. The chameleons will not act any different even if they are related. The question you should really ask is "do I need to inbreed?" If you can help it you should always out breed all animals unless you are trying to achieve a colour morph or the founder stock is so small that it doesn't allow for out breeding.

Yemens are fairly inbred already, so if you can mix the bloodlines up a little it will certainly help. Also it would be nice to see anyone selling babies from related parents to actually say so if asked...quite a few don't.

As for co-habiting yemens, as you say you have read the other threads. I don't discount anyones experiances and can only offer mine. I have two groups currently, both have 1 male and 3 or more females in. I have had NO aggression, no health issues and not seen mine acting any different to those I have seperate. I may just be lucky, I may just have them set up perfectly for the situation....who knows...But one thing I do know is that I am not alone in this method.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott, very helpfull. I now have three Yemens 1.2. The females are unrelated and the male is also unrelated. So when the time is right who knows! Need to buy a camera so I can post some pics. Bit of a ludite when it comes to digital cameras etc. Another topic to learn about!

Thanks for answering my posts. Smile

cheers Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: