Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egg Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToonTomH
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Egg Help Reply with quote

I know I've already made a thread about eggs hatching but this is specifically for help.

One of my eggs hatched last night, and at the same time the other was moving, yet it didn't hatch (This was at about 11:00pm). I came in from school today and there was still no hatchling, and also no sign of movement.

I just wondered if people think I should see if it needs help opening the egg (I have seen that you can do this). And if so, what experiences people have had doing this?

Thanks,

Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mememe
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would let nature take it's course - you often do more harm than good.

I'm not going to say it will hatch, because you could be right to cut the egg, but I tend to find it's better to see what happens.
Good luck either way! Wink

No man is an Island. Except the Isle of Man.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've cut a few crested eggs in my time, most of the time I've cut them too late and found dead in shell young, a couple of times I got it just right a baby came flying out.

Now I just leave all the eggs to 'mother nature' Wink

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
ToonTomH
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that's concerning me is that the un-hatched egg was moving around last night (And we know it was definately the egg moving, not us shaking what the box was on). However, it hasn't move since...

What do you think you would do in this situation? Just leave it?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your very careful you could try making a slit in it, it may end in disaster so it's one of those 'dammed if you do, dammed if you don't' situations.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
ToonTomH
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate this situation! I'm thinking because it has been moving last night that it wants to get out. But I don't want to cut in and harm the gecko...

My parents think that we should leave it another day. But I'm under the impression that when it was shaking the egg it was trying to get out, but it didn't have the strenght to get through the egg shell!

minno
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but thats natural selection at its best, the idea is if its not strong enough to get through the shell chances are its not going to make it far in the world
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, it may well of been too weak to break out the egg, so even if you did slit the egg it still may not of survived.

The problem with crested eggs is the size, trying to cut a slit causes a lot of disturbance, so doing it too soon can easily kill the young inside.

I personally would be tempted to put a slit in there considering the other one hatched yesterday. You can also sometimes feel the young inside moving if you VERY gently hold the egg between your thumb and finger.

Xx_JoJo_xX
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it's still alive and just having a break before it makes a second attempt at freedom! Good luck, got my fingers and toes crossed! Mr. Green
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help and luck everyone! I decided against slitting the eggs, because as you said Scott, I could cause more harm than good.

And when I checked the egg box this morning there was a little baby gecko in there! Very Happy Glad I didn't slit it now!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: