Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bit of a panic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stubeanz
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: bit of a panic Reply with quote

hi this is quite urgent but my female pygmy african hedgehog has given birth she killed 2 but there are two she just dumped outside the nest box Sad do you think she will acept them back or will she just kill them aswel? would my best bet be to leave them in there or to try and rear them myself ive hand reared things before but much bigger so would anyone know how much to give them of goats milk? sorry for all the questions just dunno what to do really
thanx in advance stu
bloodycurtus
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks like its gonna be a hand rearing job to me but i think u will go better using lactol?
stubeanz
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanx is that the puppy/mammal powder mix stuff? i have left them in there over night if they are still alive i shall try and hand rear them just wanted to give them a natural chance. Smile
thanx stu
toyah
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hedgehog most likely won't take the babies back and may well destroy them - they're very nervous with babies. Lactol might work though I never managed to hand-rear my hedgehogs (they were Indians not Africans though).

Your best bet is a rat with pinkies - they will accept and feed hedgehoglets without any hassle. Just rub it in the bedding and put into the nest.
stubeanz
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanx i went and checked on them this morning and the hoglets are no were to be seen so makes me think 1/. shes eaten them in her nest. 2/. shes rearing them in her nest. only time will tell but changed her water and she very aggresive which makes me think she may have them alive in there.
thanx for the advice the rat pinkie thing sounds pretty good have you tried it before ? anything else that they would foster?
stu
toyah
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rats will pretty much foster anything that's around the right size. I've seen them foster hedgehogs, gerbils, and mice. Only thing to watch with mice is that they're not new pinkies, they would be too small to clamp on to a rat's nipples.

Fingers crossed for your hoglets.
stubeanz
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, just an update i decided to have a look in the nest box see if the hoglets survived and they have Very Happy but there was a bonus there albino! the mother is albino but the fathers normal so turns out the father was het for albino Very Happy
pretty good news now i can leave them be glad she didnt kill them.
stu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: