Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

shed conversion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gareth1591
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: shed conversion Reply with quote

hi all

im currently looking at converting my 12by10ft shed into a reptile room.

i got into contact with Scott and he said join up and he was sure he and others could help me on it.

i know i need to insulate i was going to use king span what thickness ?

then i will plaster board over the top?

i need electrics i have a sparky coming out Monday mind you on the phone he said it could be as much as £500 ?

i will put a false floor down again with king span under it.

so is there anyone else out there that has done it that can help me out with it all ?

any pics of yours etc ?
cass
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey mate and welcome have a read through this lot

http://www.captivebred.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3378
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insulation -
With regards to thickness, the thicker the better overall, 75mm Kingspan would be great, 50mm would work. It all depends on your budget and the space you have, also the original construction of the garage you are converting and it's location.

If it's in a sunny position, then the summer could be your worst enemy so you need to insulate to stop the heat coming in.

I have done a few buildings over the last few years, first was a brick built shed. This I did NOT insulate (only the ceiling). I regret not insulating the floor the most.

The wooden sheds I have done are simple. 50mm polystrene on the walls & ceiling, and 25mm on the floor. Then the entire shed was boarded out using OSB board. The floor then had several coats of marine varnish and the walls & ceiling were painted white.

The next shed I will be doing will have 50mm insulation on the floor too.

Electrics, I done most of the electrics myself, running the cable thru etc and then just leaving 'loops' sticking out a hole cut in the wall to take a socket, I then just paid a sparky to wire the socket in and put in a main fuse board etc.

Things I would do different in future is have the lighting on a timer NOT a switch (although I would have an overide switch). Also electrics, I would aim for a couple of different circuits, again so I can control many cages by one timer etc.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
gareth1591
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply both.

it is a wooden shed im thinking it will quiet easy to do its just the electrics really but i wont them in first but im not willing to pay £500 to have them in.

have u got any pics of your converted Scott ?
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a practical person? Have you any basic knowledge of electrics?

If you answer yes to those two then you should be able to do most of the work yourself.

Decide where you want you power points, decide on how many circuits you want running.

For a simple small shed ONE circuit for power is fine and one for lighting.

Buy a roll of the correct cable, then loop your cable around the shed in as straight a line as possible, you will need to drill holes thru the timber to allow the cable to pass to the next section. It's normally easier to drill the holes needed in the wood all round, then put in your insulation, then thread you cable round. Just remember at each socket point you need to loop the cable outwards and give yourself 8" min of spare cable (this will then be cut and connected to the socket, one in, one out that leads to the next socket etc). You can then just ask an electrictian to wire the sockets and fuse board.

You need to end up with a complete piece of cable that starts in the place you want the fuse board and finishes in the same place, always allowing enough spare slack to allow the cable to be worked on easy.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I haven't got any step by step photos Sad

I'm sure Rickeezee will have some in his mammoth thread Laughing

Dan Bristow
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,obviously i dont know exactly what you need doing on the electric note but if you need power from the house to the shed,a second dis board in the shed and the shed itself wiring up then £500 isnt actually a bad price. i would advise against doing the electrics yourself, especially as legally now it all has to be done by a part p qualified electrician and should be tested after installation. if you do it yourself and someone gets hurt etc and its investigated and is found you did the electrics you could be looking at a prison sentence,trust me ive heard stories of sparks who have done something dodgy and have killed someone and got done for manslaughter!its not as easy as just running the cables in either as depending on the runs etc they may have to be mechanically protected etc also the shed supply will need to on a rcd protected circuit as its outside. i could go on and on but if you want it doing properly and safely id take the plunge and pay the professional. hope that helps oh and by the way im an electrician!!
gareth1591
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool thanks for that both of you,i think i will pay a electricion but i will get 2/3 quotes first i think.

did you seal the wall scott with any insulation paint ?before the kingspan goes on ?
gareth1591
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right guys

the shed is now empty at last so the building can start Very Happy

my 1st question is will kingspan or loft insulation be best to insulate with ?
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loft insulation will be cheaper I think..but kingspan is nicer to work with!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: