Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heating/lighting for cresties

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenopus
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Heating/lighting for cresties Reply with quote

Planning on getting a crestie soon and am trying to decide on the lights/heating. As usual I cannot follow the 'room temperature will be fine' rule as my house probably falls to not much over 10C/50F at night, mid winter. I presume this is a little too cold for them as the lowest recommended temp. I have found is 15C/60F? If this is the case how am I best heating them? I was thinking heat mat but then thought a red bulb instead. I was planning on using one of those D3 compact UV bulbs in the day so could have a day time basking spot using the light from the UV as an attractant and the heat from the red bulb, and then just the red for the night.
How does this sound or am I way off mark?
Thanks
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I do not use any Uv lights for mine at all, just one UV light that is used to illuminate the whole room (only used that as it was the easiest to buy at the time).

My room is now dropping to 60, even a touch below. For heating I use heat pads placed under each viv, these are 6" heat strips that run the whole length of the viv.

On cold nights the lizards come down and bask but hide again during the day.

You can attach a heat pad on the floor or wall of the viv. I wouldn't use any form of lighting as heat, after all they are nocturnal animals.

If you air temp drops to the 50's, and you have a heat pad in on the side, I would say that will probably do the job. You may find the gecko grows slower during the winter but I am confident that it won't harm him.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Xenopus
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, heat pad it is then. That was my original thought but then I read about someone using a red bulb and got indecisive!
Do you think a compact UV would be alright as I've been told lots of different things regarding UV for cresties? I think they come in 7% strength so would that be too much-would it be better to get a 2% tube? I was just trying to avoid the bulk of a starter unit really.
Thanks
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UV light won't do any harm if the gecko has plenty of places to hide and the light is on a max of 12 hours. You will probably find him hiding from it although you may be lucky and see him bask.

UV has been proven not to be required for multi-generation breeding but if you do add it you may as well add live plants and take advantage of it.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
zarozinia
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Uv for mine, but as Scott mentioned there is no proof that you need it. I also keep live plants in my vivs, so its dual purpose. So far Ive found that in the winter they do seem to spend most of the time hiding, but in the summer I have observed them positioning themselves partially in the rays of the uv light or sunshine ( I did put them outside in mesh vivs when temps werent too high), then moving their bodies around as the sun moved - to stay partially exposed. Incidently, The most dramatic colour change Ive observed with crested geckos was when I moved it from indoors to outside in the sunshine in early summer - one changed from very pale buckskin to really deep burnt orange/brick red colours.
I would agree with Scott on the lighting issue, although you will ocassionally see them out during daylight, they are predominantly nocturnal. Lighting isnt required, but if you wish to use it then providing dense foliage gives the geckos the option to hide.
Im not sure I would agree with the heat mat as you need to heat the air, and these dont heat the air, plus the geckos are going to end up recieving heat on their bellies and feet - which isnt the norm for them. I imagine Scotts cresty room has an ambient temperature from some other source, but I may be wrong. Scott?? Personally I would go for heating up your room, rather than use a heat mat. Buy a small heater of some sort. but that would just be my own personal preference and I have only kept cresties for two years.
I must say that our house has been without heating for a few weeks now (- there is a long waiting list for engineers around here!) and my cresties have come to no harm. They are eating, defecating and behaving as per their usual.
If you do choose a local heat source for the vivarium I would strongly advise you to use an appropriate thermostat and when the weather becomes warmer, be extra vigilant it doesnt get too hot in there.

Last edited by zarozinia on Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Angi,

My room hasn't any other form of heating, although I checked the temps at 6.30 this morning and the room was down to 55c. I will be adding a radiator to to bring the temp up to a min of 65c.

As for heat sources, I gave it some thought regarding the use of heat pads and wether it was natural for them to absorb heat from thier bellies. I came to the conclusion that as they are nocturnal they wouldn't recieve much in the way of heat exposure radiating down on them but would absorb surface heat from branches etc that have soaked up the heat during the day (that's if the sun even get's thru the canopy?)

How's that for a theory? ( Embarassed )

zarozinia
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, why blush? Laughing
Todays theory Razz Rolling Eyes Wink was that as the sun probably doesnt reach all the undergrowth, then maybe they dont actually absorb heat from the sun above or branches and leaves below. Maybe the ambient temperature around them is enough, as they generally dont bask. What do you think?

Last edited by zarozinia on Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol.....yep, that's kinda what I was saying in my last few words.

I do however believe that a basking site (what ever method someone chooses) is very usefull, as it provides a place for an animal to go and raise it's temp, very good if they need to fight off illnesses etc

zarozinia
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I think you are right, its good for them to have the option of choosing whether they would like to be warmer or cooler. I suppose the majority of us cresty keepers probably arent supplying a temperature gradient within their vivs, which we do for most other species. - Going to have to discuss it all on the Repashy forums now too, lol.
Xenopus
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff guys. I bought a max/min thermometer the other day and so far it's got down to 13C/55F in the room. I can't see it getting much colder to be honest as the weather now is about as bad as it gets (sub zero at night). Probably a silly question but how much heat would a 7W UV bulb give out? Negligible I'd have thought? Or just enough for a bit of a basking spot? The room seems to be at 18C in the day, a bit less when the heating's off. Heating the room would be good but it's pretty big and very draughty so would be a bit of a losing battle I think (Victorian house, single glazing, etc!).
Hmmm, bought all the stuff to make the big tank on Saturday so need to make my mind up so we can fit it all in.
I would put stats on everything of course.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: