Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DWA Mentoring & Assistance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: DWA Mentoring & Assistance Reply with quote

Following on from other threads where people ask for help to gain experiance with DWA species and more recently Local Authorities stating that a "second named person nominated and included on the licence who is competent to care for the animals should the owner be absent or incapacitated" should be available, I wondered if fellow DWA license holders would be willing to list if they were available for either of the above.

Basically we could use this thread so that people could post up their approx location ie mine is Essex/East London and if they would be willing to be listed as a helper for another DWA keeper and if they would agree to mentor potential DWA candidates?

Obviously if you agree to the idea you can still refuse anyone you feel is a liability or just not ready etc

DWA keepers are probably under more threat of losing the hobby we love than those keeping harmless reptiles, so by sticking together and helping 'our own' we can protect ourselves better Wink

Now of course there may well be restrictions on peoples licenses that would prevent visitors from actually handling / getting involved in the venomous reptiles directly but even a novice being able to watch an experianced keeper would help a lot. It may be just enough to make someone change their mind or even 'wake them up' to the extra effort and work that is involved with maintaining a dwa collection.

Anyway...these are just my thoughts, I'd be more than happy to read other peoples views on the whole thing.

I'll also start off by offering my name as a second DWA license holder that would be willing to help if a license holder in my area needs assitance due to illness or incapacitation (subject to their exact location). I would also be willing to offer some guidance and first hand experiance to potential DWA applicants (subject to my opinion on whether I feel they are ready and what time I have available).
Essex/East London

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Raven
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Thanks Scott ! Reply with quote

Thank you very much for this post Scott .
It seems like not only I have this kind of problem ... isn't it ?
Like I said before into my post , tomorrow visiting me the inspector .
I'll tell you what he said , whether he'll help me with second experienced person or not .

Thank you again , Artur.
zarozinia
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would support any initiative that guides prospective venomous keepers into learning safely from experienced and knowledgeable keepers.
I will try to chat to some of the experienced keepers in my area to see if anyone can offer any help.
We have an exam at our shop where people need to pass with 95% or above before they are considered for mentoring. This helps ensure that staff have adequate knowledge on the subject initially, although this is only a start, we do feel it encourages learning. Maybe a group of experienced keepers could put their heads together and do something similar, that way at least you know that the person will have a reasonable understanding of the subject at hand, before beginning the mentoring process. It could also look good when someone is applying for a dwa, that they have taken a test and are recieving mentoring.

Also, we have dvds, which Pete made which cover some of the basics of keeping venomous snakes.
Raven
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: The inspectors visit . Reply with quote

The short story which I've promised ];o)
The inspector came in with his secretary to have a look at my flat and unready place for snake in the future .
I've asked him isn't it stupid idea to keep venomous snake between the neighbours into block of flats ?
I've asked yet if he heared about any person who got a DWA licence and is living same as me in the block of flats ?
I had to ask cause sometime I'm thinking that it is abnormal thought ...
The separated house seems more safely I think ...

He said that the place which I prepared for snake looks OK ...
The door , lock .., enough space for snake .
But everything is into the Vet's hands ...
The inspector after visit sent to me a e-mail inform me that already he had spoken to Vet and he'll send him back his thought the next week ...

When I've asked the inspector about second person to put onto my licence he said that I can go to about two pet-shops which are cooperative with Animal Health Department in my city ...
So I think this problem is gone now .

Thanks to everybody , Artur.
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zarozinia wrote:
I would support any initiative that guides prospective venomous keepers into learning safely from experienced and knowledgeable keepers.
I will try to chat to some of the experienced keepers in my area to see if anyone can offer any help.
We have an exam at our shop where people need to pass with 95% or above before they are considered for mentoring. This helps ensure that staff have adequate knowledge on the subject initially, although this is only a start, we do feel it encourages learning. Maybe a group of experienced keepers could put their heads together and do something similar, that way at least you know that the person will have a reasonable understanding of the subject at hand, before beginning the mentoring process. It could also look good when someone is applying for a dwa, that they have taken a test and are recieving mentoring.

Also, we have dvds, which Pete made which cover some of the basics of keeping venomous snakes.

I have sent you a PM
indeep
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had contact with Brian @ keighley Reptiles he might help you out ?? worth a try for nowt
.......indeep
zarozinia
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive talked to Pete, my partner and he is willing to consider mentoring the occassional person or help with advice/guidance, depending on time constraints etc etc. Although he cannot mentor someone on our shop premises.

He also mentioned that it would be a good idea to discuss the subject of liability prior to mentoring.

Pete is willing to put forward his literature and exam questions to a group of experienced knowledgeable keepers as a starting point for a sort of study package/exam, which can be used to help guide prospective keepers. Is anyone interested in getting involved with developing this as a project? I have limited basic experience and knowledge in this area, no where near enough to mentor anyone, but I dont mind helping in pull together the above as a project to help people learn, in fact I thing it would help me to learn more about the subject. I could possabily help with administrative stuff.

We could also construct a list of decent books which a prospective keeper may find useful resources. such as:-
Venomous reptiles ofthe Western hemisphere Vol 1 and vol 2, by Campbell and Lamar
Venomous snakes of the world by Mark O Shea
Poisonous snakes by Toy Phelps
True Vipers by Ludwig ( cant remember surname but will add later)

What do you think Scott and ther keepers, prospective keepers?
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you guys have done some good work up there Angi.

Me personally I would need to meet and talk to someone one to one and see how they are with reptiles in general before deciding if I would even show them my venomous, let alone mentoring.

Obviously there is a liability issue that each individual would need to clear up with their insurance companies etc.

I think there's some good ideas there Angi and I think it would be nice if some of the other DWA keepers who read these forums added their input / opinions .

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasnt there a guy offering a coarse or something a few years back?

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
davo
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe sticky it to the DWA section.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: