Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IHS Breeders Meetings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Upcoming Shows / Events & reviews of previous reptile expos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: IHS Breeders Meetings Reply with quote

The International Herpetological Society is holding a few National Breeders Meetings this year in locations including Doncaster & Hertfordshire.

The best thing about these events (apart from the great quality of CAPTIVE BRED stock) is that non IHS / FBH members can attend

Full details of the events will be on the IHS website http://www.international-herpetological-society.org

Or click on the banner above Wink

I should be attending ALL IHS shows, so look forward to meeting you there Cool

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
SteveL
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for posting this i will be going Very Happy

jezz wrote:
I dont understand SteveL's sarcasm dohhh
H.S.
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The best thing about these events is that non IHS / FBH members can attend

Personally, I disagree that this is a good thing. I am in favour of Members only shows.
The simple fact that somebody has to apply and pay for membership to the IHS (or similar society) shows that the person has an interest in Herpetology.
Allowing any old passer by in to a show/meeting opens up that meeting for misunderstanding, abuse and possibly more.
I am sure we have all been in Reptile stores ( or even just pet shops) which a re regularly treated as some kind of local free zoo, and have had to listen to the 'urrghhhh' and 'it's so cruel' of ill or non-informed public.
Then there are the impulse buyers who will buy animals at the show, having no idea of the husbandry required, or the relevant equipment available to care for these animals. Regardless of what they tell the Breeder/Supplier.
Finally there is the Animal Rights people, able to come and go as they please.
I know membership is not a guarantee of any of this not happening, but it certainly limits the possibility.
Jackie
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting Scott. Have the rules changed for this years shows? Previous years shows only allowed IHS/FBH affiliated members entry to the shows. Or was it a typo??

3:4 Eublepharis macularius
1:0 Gekko gecko
3:4:1 R. auriculatus
1:3 R. ciliatus
1:1 R. chahoua
1:1 R. leachianus henkeli
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H.S. wrote:
Quote:
The best thing about these events is that non IHS / FBH members can attend

Personally, I disagree that this is a good thing. I am in favour of Members only shows.
The simple fact that somebody has to apply and pay for membership to the IHS (or similar society) shows that the person has an interest in Herpetology.
Allowing any old passer by in to a show/meeting opens up that meeting for misunderstanding, abuse and possibly more.
I am sure we have all been in Reptile stores ( or even just pet shops) which a re regularly treated as some kind of local free zoo, and have had to listen to the 'urrghhhh' and 'it's so cruel' of ill or non-informed public.
Then there are the impulse buyers who will buy animals at the show, having no idea of the husbandry required, or the relevant equipment available to care for these animals. Regardless of what they tell the Breeder/Supplier.
Finally there is the Animal Rights people, able to come and go as they please.
I know membership is not a guarantee of any of this not happening, but it certainly limits the possibility.

As you say the potential for that to happen is at EVERY single pet shop across the country for ALL species of animals (dogs, cats & rabbits etc) A reptile show that hasn't got a big fancy shop front and is tucked away in a hard to find location like so many are is going to have a very low number of none reptile enthusiasts attend.

PLUS most breeders that attend and sell their offspring are VERY fussy about who buys them so that a complete novice will either not be supplied or be supplied with all the info and tools to help them get into this great hobby.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackie wrote:
Thanks for posting Scott. Have the rules changed for this years shows? Previous years shows only allowed IHS/FBH affiliated members entry to the shows. Or was it a typo??

There are some rule changes apparently, it's all up on the IHS website.

bobby
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi does anyone know when the doors open for non-members?
And how much does entrance cost?
Cheers
lovesnakes
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

certainly going to try for the hertfordshire meeting, my membership should be through by then Smile

I know non-members are welcome but inclined to agree with the point raised by H.S. local reptile fairs came to a halt (in Essex at least!) a few years back because of the trouble caused by animal activists Evil or Very Mad
(if i remember correctly i think even the IHS called off meetings for a while!?)
also, i personally believe, if people can support the IHS or other like minded groups by paying for membership, this should help in the long run for gaining over all support for the hobby Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Upcoming Shows / Events & reviews of previous reptile expos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: