Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

?? for the people that own hots
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: ?? for the people that own hots Reply with quote

Just wondering how you people that have venomous snakes got into it in the first place, how old were you and what was your first hot?

I ask because I'm interested in them but wouldn't even know how to go about getting the relevant experience to feel confident owning a hot, maybe sometime in the distant future I will be able to.
davo
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question, as there are always people asking about how to get into keeping hots, and what makes good "starter hots" or snakes to "prepare for" hots...
How did you current keepers get into it?
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah definately because I have read up and I know what makes a good starter hot, but its still a hot, I was speaking to a man called Jason, he may be a member on here actually, but he said that when he was 15 he got a copperhead and it was just trial and error, so that made me wonder how other people got into it
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

come on guys someone must not mind answering Very Happy
corns are cool
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i waz 15 and my first hot was a cottonmouth
trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I was 33 years old when I got my first venomous snake, a European Nose-Horned Viper which was a 6" juvenile at the time.

I'd only been keeping snakes for 3 months when my DWA was approved but I think thats down to my age and my level of responsibility.

I got involved with hots because I always wanted to keep an Adder as a pet but I guess I never really thought I would get as far as I have.
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for answering mate, so you had kept snakes for only 3 months before you got a hot or am I getting the wrong end of the stick? also how long have you been keeping them now
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been keeping reptiles since I was 7 or 8, started working in a reptile shop at around 14 and used to 'play' with the different venomous there.

Have worked with / handled venomous ever since then, including force feeding several different species etc.

First venomous was copperheads, quickly followed by Rhino vipers, Gaboons, Monocled cobras, Nose horned vipers and many other European species, Mojave rattlers, westerns and a few others along the way...oh yeah and of course all the Gilas and now beaded lizards.

I was around 23 when I actually got my first license.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Morbid
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with hots in 1996, when I was 20years. The first hotsnake for me was a pair of Vipera aspis fransisciredi. Beautiful snakes..

Lucky for me, I had a friend that kept (and still is keeping..) alot of different Vipera sp. that I could learn from. Good thing to have a "mentor", to help/asisst in how to handle and choosing different tools such as tongs, hooks and looooong tweasers.

Assumption is the Mother of all f***ups.
trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Si86 wrote:
thanks for answering mate, so you had kept snakes for only 3 months before you got a hot or am I getting the wrong end of the stick? also how long have you been keeping them now

That is correct.

I have been keeping hots now for 13 months and snakes in general for 16 months.

The general consensus is that you should keep non-lethal species for an extended period of time before you move on to hots and I agree with this 100%

Unfortunately I NEVER heard that until AFTER I aqquired my DWA lisense...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: