Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oh my good god!!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuesdaysgone
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes trueviper but do you feel sorry for the baby or the snake? Laughing

Seriously though. What is wrong with people? That little baby is so innocent and some sick f**k is filming it!
trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuesdaysgone wrote:
Yes trueviper but do you feel sorry for the baby or the snake? Laughing

Yeah, you got me on that one mate! Rolling Eyes Laughing

I agree with the general opinion on this topic which is being discussed on several forums that I'm a member of and that is if tourists didn't pay these villagers to perform these acts of blatant cruelty with snakes ( and children ) then they wouldn't do it.
snakelily
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really sick.... You mean they are doing this for tourists, for money??? I can't imagine even tourists would go for this. AN old-fashioned snake charmer maybe, but most half-way sane people draw the line at kids being involved in those things. (Remember the uproar when Steve Irwin had his infant son in his arms while close to a gigantic crocodile?)

My heart was beating double fast the whole time. (hey, I'm a mother after all)

Nevertheless I couldn't help but notice that the snake seemed almost reluctant to strike. It was actually moving away from the child, and before striking turned its head. It wasn't out and out attacking but seemed more intent on defending itself. Is this what cobras typically do?
trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what was going on in that video was the kids parents were just trying to get the kid to become accustomed to being around and interacting with cobras. Preparing the child for performances he would do later in life.

I've seen children on tv as young as 5 and 6 performing with venomous snakes in front of large crowds but I can't remember which part of the world it was. Somewhere like Thailand perhaps.
The cobra in the video that sickened you most likely has had it's mouth sewn up so I douht whether the child was in any real danger.

I'm not condoning this you understand, I'm just telling you how it is.

And yes your right, any venomous snake would rather escape from a threat if it can, biting only in self defense.
Thats the whloe point of the typical hooded cobra stance were all so used to seeing, it's snake posturing.

He's saying " Look at me, look at how big and scary I am! If you try to hurt me or eat me I'm going to bite you to defend myself "

All snakes, especially cobras, are preyed on by a lot of other animals surprisingly and they've just evolved differnt ways of displaying their warnings.

It's one of the most important things to understand when keeping these animals in captivity, as anyone will tell you.
Drymarchon32
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone read "The Snakebite Survivors Club"? I can recommend it as a good read.

Al
snakelily
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite fascinating, Trueviper. The snake had its mouth sewn shut??? -- Unbelievable...

Let me ask you, Trueviper, do you keep venomous snakes? (I guess my your name makes me ask this, lol)

In the reptile store near me they have spitting cobras. They are usually asleep when I am there, but even asleep they look s.c.a.r.y.
trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Snakelily,

I'm not 100% certain that particular cobra had it's mouth sewn up but it's definately a common practice with these " snake performers ", as is pulling out their fangs. Nice eh? Evil or Very Mad

Yes I have a DWA licence to keep venomous snakes and I love and keep vipers as pets.
There are plenty of photos of my charges on this section if your interested? Wink

Laughing I can understand that you'd find spitting cobras scary!
I don't keep them myself but the Red Spitter is one of my favourite all time snakes. Smile
snakelily
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, trueviper, I did see some, under the post "lazy snakes."

What intrigues me, if you don't mind my picking your brain (gosh, I hate that expression) is that you call them pets, whereas most snake keepers refer to their snakes as a "hobby." I have been wondering about that distinction since I started to keep snakes myself (just 6 months ago or so). I look at them as my pets too, of course mine are harmless enough, 2 corns and a royal, lol...But it's interesting that you call your hots pets even though you can't even handle them with your hands, or can you? And they, like, hate you? They try to strike every chance they get?

It's just curiosity that makes me ask these questions. I have no desire to ever get a hot - I'm way to worried about the danger. Wink
trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Yeah I'm not sure other people refer to their snakes, venomous or otherwise as "pets" but I certainly do.
And why not? How do you define the word pet anyway? Is it an animal that is under your care that you are fond of?

All my snakes have very distinct personalitys and I know them all and I know just what to expect from each of them whenever I need to interact with them.

I have to handle my snakes regulary to do routine maintenance in their enclosures and to give them fresh water but I obviously never use my bare hands, I use snake hooks to transfer them to safety containers where they stay until they are ready to go back in.

And no Laughing they certainly don't hate me and I can honestly say they very rarely strike at me either. You use tools to work with them from a safe distance.
The Puff Adder you saw in the photo is a wild caught animal which I've had for 5 months now and she used to strike at me from behind the glass all the time whenever I approached her enclosure.
Now she only huffs and puffs a little bit and gets a bit defensive because she has settled in really,really well.
Also I imagine it probably hurt her whenever she struck the glass and she bashed her face in a little bit also which popped back out again after a few days!.
So she has probably learnt not to do that again. She has never struck at me once while I've had her out of her enclosure I can honestly say.
It's probably because of the way I treat my animals, with the utmost respect.

Venomous snakes are HUGELY mis-understood and they are just not the evil,hateful creatures people expect them to be.

Saying that I'm never complacent about what they are cabable of doing to me should I make a mistake so I take the greatest care when working with them.

At the end of the day it comes down to one simple thing.
Know and understand the natural behaviour of these animals.
They are wild creatures and will never be tamed.
Cluster of chaos
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drymarchon32 wrote:
Has anyone read "The Snakebite Survivors Club"? I can recommend it as a good read.

Al

Yup, read that a few years back, bloody good read Very Happy

Be who you are and say what you feel......those who matter won't mind and those who mind don't matter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: