Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

monitor learning/training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeanThorpe
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys.
IS danceswithsavs still about?
anyway I felt they were treated badly on anothe rforum and heard they got a similar response on here but wasnt here to see it.
Thanks for the video links, will check them out, I have a pretty lovely tame bosc myself but As with all my reps i just kinda do what i think and get down to thier level which prolly isnt necesarily the way a lot of you guys would do things.
If it works, and no harm comes to any animal [and prefereably not us peeps too] then it cant be bad surely.
Eyed Lizard
Leo's
Tokay's
Cresties
Garg
Berber skinks
Ocltd Skinks
Uro acanthinurus
Fiji Iguana's
oplurus cyclurus+Cuvieri
Collard's
Long Tailed Lizards
Dwarf Sungazers
Water dragon
Corn's
Royal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
lol93
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see and read about other peoples' experiences.

A year down the line, my water monitor will not come out if anyone is in the same room. He will take rodents from tongs, but only if he's hiding.

I am concerned I'm doing something wrong. I have been very patient, and on the advice of several monitor 'experts' on other forums, I haven't handled him or bathed him. As he is my first monitor, I want to make sure I do things right. He's in a big 6' viv, with leaf litter, water, a Rete's stack and branches to climb. He has a basking spot of 125-130 degrees, and rodents and insects to eat.

My worry is that he's going to turn into a six footer who freaks out every time someone goes near him, which would not be good if I have to take him to the vet for any reason. I don't want to 'tame' him, or break his spirit, but he is not really any closer to trusting me than he was as a baby.

Can anyone advise, or recommend a better way to train him to tolerate people?
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol93, I had same experience as you with my Argus. although i have recently sold it. not because it wouldn't tame down, but because i couldn't afford the electric bill anymore. i often wondered if it would have been better to have handled it more often. when i first got it i tried holding it every other day, but it would hide for 3 or 4 days after & not even come out to feed. i now have 3 peacock monitors, which i have left them alone since i got them. they bask in the open & feed from tongs & drink from spray bottle. they are not shy at all, although they wouldn't let me handle them. if i get too close they hiss & inflate their throats. i am pesonally happy just to observe.

p.s when i had to handle the Argus to sell it, it was surprisingly calm.
crocdoc
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johne.ev wrote:
i often wondered if it would have been better to have handled it more often. when i first got it i tried holding it every other day, but it would hide for 3 or 4 days after & not even come out to feed.

It's likely your argus monitor stayed fearful of you because you handled it every second day rather than despite that.

lol93, I'd be surprised if your monitor remained that way as it approached adult size if you never force handle it. Do you ever sit for extended periods of time in the room its enclosure is in?
arch
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same probs with my roughneck, I've only handled him four or five times since getting him in feb, ive been to a shop that have two adults and the owner said they tolerate people (female more than male) and he said the best way to get him used to me was to handle him more! so i thought when i get home ill get him out, after about 20 Min's of running round the floor (hes was fine getting out) he sat under the bed i went to grab a camera to get some pics and when i returned..... hes gone
look all over and then i thought i bet hes gone down the 4 inch gap between the wall and the Viv so i got a torch and YEP there he was 5 foot
from me!!!! i didn't know what to do, thankfully after about 40Min's of waving a mouse on a bamboo cane i was able to herd hm out but he wasn't very happy when i grabbed him! and i think ive lost most of the trust i built up over the last few months, i was able to feed him from tweezers
when he was out but now he hides again when i come in the room!
im not to worried if hes happy but don't want him growing up to be frightened of everyone. Just though id have a moan.
puddlesplash
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeanThorpe wrote:
Hi Guys.
IS danceswithsavs still about?
anyway I felt they were treated badly on anothe rforum and heard they got a similar response on here but wasnt here to see it.
Thanks for the video links, will check them out, I have a pretty lovely tame bosc myself but As with all my reps i just kinda do what i think and get down to thier level which prolly isnt necesarily the way a lot of you guys would do things.
If it works, and no harm comes to any animal [and prefereably not us peeps too] then it cant be bad surely.

I was told they've put some photos up somewhere on the internet of two very overweight boscs now. Havent seen them myself though, though with the amount of chicken she feeds to train them it wouldnt surprise me one bit.
arch
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive not seen them but wanted to ask if anyone knows what shes feeding them in the first film it looks like fudge or oxo cubes! probably isn't!
puddlesplash
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arch wrote:
Ive not seen them but wanted to ask if anyone knows what shes feeding them in the first film it looks like fudge or oxo cubes! probably isn't!

its cooked chicken.
ilovemonitor-lizards
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi everybody. very nice video once again crocdoc and i totally agree with you that monitors are clever enoug the check out those thinks very very quick.
one thing about taming monitors how i see it. just spend your time with them and feed them by your own. thats all i would do and have done . these bathtube storys are so dump !!!!!!!!!!!!!! even if they are work. itīs completly dump and if you need to "break" a monitor ( or any other animal) do get it the way your like, then we both should never meet for shure !!!

and then, whats that ?!

It wasn't about whether or not you chose to train your monitors to tongue flick you and your partner's faces for food

hallo, how dump can you be. do you have any clue about the predator monitor lizard ?

and to compare a sav monitor with an larger australian monitor shows so much, that you have no idea about monitors in gerneral. so now something about my monitors. nearly all of my monitors are calm. only my tritis orientalis "donīt like" any near to me. i have never done anything to get them like that. but of course dwarf monitor lizard are not the same like the large ones. as you could ye, i keep a group of panotes panoptes. i got them last summer and they traveled a long way (2 days from there last owner to hamm, where we had meet ). i went at home with them, put them in the enclosure and was very very suprised how curious the male was from the first minute. after so much stress !! i can handle him if i like to and could give him the full space of my flat, as you do crocdoc, to get more space for moving around and bask at my balkony. i will also try this with my lace monitor when i get him in a few weeks. if we both have luck, me and him, we could handle it the same way and i get the wonderfull experience of such an impressive lizard ( 50cm large then my panoptes wich is about 1,30m ) moving around me, and he gets the additional room they sometimes need. if it doesnīt work, the enclosure is large enough ( 4x1,5x1,5 m) and just seeing him there is a dream comes true.

so treat your monitors they way they deserve and donīt make such nonsense!!! regards martin
tristis orientalis
tristis orientalis red head
panoptes panoptes
caudolineatus
varius
salvator cumingi
Brachylophus fasciatus
Petrosaurus repens
puddlesplash
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilovemonitor-lizards wrote:
hi everybody. very nice video once again crocdoc and i totally agree with you that monitors are clever enoug the check out those thinks very very quick.
one thing about taming monitors how i see it. just spend your time with them and feed them by your own. thats all i would do and have done . these bathtube storys are so dump !!!!!!!!!!!!!! even if they are work. itīs completly dump and if you need to "break" a monitor ( or any other animal) do get it the way your like, then we both should never meet for shure !!!

and then, whats that ?!

It wasn't about whether or not you chose to train your monitors to tongue flick you and your partner's faces for food

hallo, how dump can you be. do you have any clue about the predator monitor lizard ?

and to compare a sav monitor with an larger australian monitor shows so much, that you have no idea about monitors in gerneral. so now something about my monitors. nearly all of my monitors are calm. only my tritis orientalis "donīt like" any near to me. i have never done anything to get them like that. but of course dwarf monitor lizard are not the same like the large ones. as you could ye, i keep a group of panotes panoptes. i got them last summer and they traveled a long way (2 days from there last owner to hamm, where we had meet ). i went at home with them, put them in the enclosure and was very very suprised how curious the male was from the first minute. after so much stress !! i can handle him if i like to and could give him the full space of my flat, as you do crocdoc, to get more space for moving around and bask at my balkony. i will also try this with my lace monitor when i get him in a few weeks. if we both have luck, me and him, we could handle it the same way and i get the wonderfull experience of such an impressive lizard ( 50cm large then my panoptes wich is about 1,30m ) moving around me, and he gets the additional room they sometimes need. if it doesnīt work, the enclosure is large enough ( 4x1,5x1,5 m) and just seeing him there is a dream comes true.

so treat your monitors they way they deserve and donīt make such nonsense!!! regards martin

You can call her all you like but I'm still the top person on her list on her website for disagreeing with her Laughing danceswivsavs DESPISES me lol for saying she's absolutely crazy for thinking this training is a good idea. Tiring out a bosc in water to 'save' it isn't nice, its animal cruelty. They had one boss DIE in the water before these two, or do people not read everything this lunatic goes on about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: