Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mealworms & Leopard Geckos
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Geckos - ALL species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Mealworms & Leopard Geckos Reply with quote

How many people feed an exclusive mealworm diet to the leo's? or just to adults or hatchlings etc?

I have seen some stunning geckos recently that were reared 100% on mealworms, these were bigger and heathier looking than those fed on crickets, just wondered if anyone else does this or has seen any differences? I know the breeder does feed a mix of crickets and mealworms once they are adult but babies mainly reared on mealworms.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been feeding mostly mealworms, and just add a few crickets now and then, over a week 90% of there diet is mealworms, thats for young and old.
Gina
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of mine will eat mealies at all so i have no choice but to stick with the crickets/locusts/waxie diet.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina, have you tried pinks at all?

I have one group that I'm feeding pinks almost exclusively, they are the best looking in health terms out of all my leopards, I'm waiting to see what the long term effects will be and what difference it makes to the coming breeding season.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
gecko2606
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi scott, Well as you know I went to Hamm in September as I inported from the USA. And all that I got from the USA apart from my Amels faties are on 100% mealworms and are packing it on. My Mack woz 38g - 40g when I got him, he didnt eat for about 2 week and some 6 weeks have gone in total, and he is 65g now and coming on nicely. as well as all the rest. Smile So I think if you can do it, do it. No problams here Wink
Gina
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done once,back when i only had about 5 leos,none were interested,guess its worth a try with them again now i have 13,some of them might take!
jim_radley
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard feeding mealworms to geckos causes most to prolapse, because the build up of shells causes intestinal blockages. My local pet shop doesn't recommend feeding them in large numbers, and not to anything but adults. Has anyone else found this?
mark_w
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

De vosjoli reports people keeping and breeding leopard geckos for generations on a mealworm only diet, incl. some of the longest lived geckos on record. For some reason there's always been quite a bit of rubbish said about mealworms.

Mark.
Kirsty
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 of my leos prefer mealworms the other 2 will eat anything and everything, i find the mealworms easier to keep, feed etc although they get crickets and waxworms aswell they always seem to go for the mealworms first and i havent had and signs of problems yet....

Kirsty
varanus
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a breeder who from what ive been told tried to feed a only mealy diet he was ok to start with but then found his geckos were not as prolific so now feeds mainly a mealy diet with crickets also offered but it being kind of 80-90% mealy based this has solved the problem and is working well

Personally i think its more important what youve fed the food item to gut laod it than what the food item is within reason
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Geckos - ALL species All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: