Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I want a dwa liscence
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reeve105a wrote:
Drymarchon32 wrote:
There have been several posts over the last month or so on this topic, and the resounding opinion is do your research, get as much experience with as many non-venomous species as possible.

I'm going to wait a few days then I'm going to start a new topic:
I would like to get a dwa. I've kept some crickets and 1 anole. I feel that I now have enough experience to keep venomous snakes. I was thinking of starting with a King cobra then I want to get a saltwater croc... Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

if I was you id get a black mamba first as well as a king cobra and maybe a WC adult male lion to keep in your lounge
poisonjedhead
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to work at the Fitzsimmons snake park in Durban.

what i can say about hots, is they command a huge amount of respect.
personally i would not subject myself to the chances of some thing going wrong, I've seen the results of venom, its by no means pretty especially if its some one close to you or yourself even.

i would suggest you do some research on the effects of snake bites, have a look at some photos as a result, i think any sensible person would rethink the idea.

sure they are beautiful to look at, though there are just as many non venomous snakes that match there beauty plus one gets to handle these animals with out the risk of being taged by venom.

there are occasions were you will need to handle these animals hands on and you will require confidence and experience to do this.
in my experience hots are normally a bit flighty and less predictable than other captives as one tends to handle them less, only for maintenance or to do some thing like administer medicine etc. and the animal associates handling with unpleasant experiences.

i would erdge you to focus on non-venomous species there are so many to choose from and you will eliminate a lot of personal stress of going threw a DWA.

not some thing to rush into by any means.

in a few years it may be a good move, for now enjoy your animals you have and gain some good foundations with them there is a lot to learn from them.

all the best

kind regards
Jed
Rob_McGrory
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess everyone's seen the pretty horrific pictures on this website http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/index.htm
of the damage done to some poor guys arm from a rattlesnake bite!
0.0.2 African Pygmy Dormice
lizard man
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh ive seen those pics before, not very nice but there are some worse pics about, not forgetting there is more than one type of venom, did read up on them once apon-a-time....wish my memory was better lol Laughing Crying or Very sad
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob_McGrory wrote:
i guess everyone's seen the pretty horrific pictures on this website http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/index.htm
of the damage done to some poor guys arm from a rattlesnake bite!

Yep, highly recommend anyone thinking of keeping venomous to have a dam good read of that site and look at these photos http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/rattlesnakepics.htm

If you still think you are ready to keep venomous then go right a head Wink

(I've been keeping/handling venomous now for over 18 years and those pics still make me wonder if it's all worth it Wink )

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Jase
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pics, IMO, are a fine example of why not to bother with venomous animals!!! Very Happy

SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you either really want to or don't at all some people really don't understand the fascination with them, but theres something about them that makes me really interested I love reading about hots and watching documentaries, but having said that I know there is no way at all that I'm even near ready to keep them at the moment and not in the near future either it doesn't stop me dreaming though and even pics like that don't put me off totally they make me wary but that's what I think they deserve a really healthy respect.
Just A Beginner
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to get myself a DWA one day.

ONE DAY Laughing

I'm miles and years away from that as yet, and I've been keeping for almost a decade. I have handled and worked with some VERY aggressive reptiles, inc three DWA's.

Before you get a DWA for venomous snakes Id reccommend you don't just 'keep upgrading your collection'; you can chop and change with reptiles all you like and you'll never really build up proper experience. The 'lag time' in reptiles can be very long, ie, your husbandry skills (or lack of) can take months or years to produce visible symptoms. So chopping and changing can leave you with an impressive 'species I have kept' list, but no solid herpetological ability. It is one thing to be unafraid of snakes and quite another to be good at keeping them.

Instead, see if you can get a job or volunteer at a reptile pet shop, a reptile house in a zoo, or with another reptile keeper with animals different from those you keep. If you look around on here you're bound to find someone nearby to help out. This would build up your experience with a variety of different reptiles, so you can appreciate just how different from one another snakes really can be.

Meanwhile, at home you should try to:

Breed adult snakes succesfully.
Incubate the eggs sccesfully.
Experience raising hatchlings.
Keep back a hatchling to observe how they change & grow, and to see how your husbandry impacts on it in the long term.
If you haven't had any akward feeders, try taking one on. It is a really difficult, sometimes heartwrenching process, but is a valuable skill.

Also, try keeping something bitey, like an Amazon Tree Boa or something, try to never get bitten by it, and remember that if it had been a DWA, and it had, you'd be in trouble.

Pretty much, you need to learn a helluva lot of herp-skills to be in good stead for DWA's. Good luck learning Smile

One day, I'd love to keep a Waglers, but from what I've seen and read the husbandry is difficult, let alone the fangs&venom part! Yellow-faced Mangroves are a fave of mine too, but there's the dangling carrot of they-might-be-getting-de-listed! Laughing

http://www.geocities.com/crayon_conservationist/
sam
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brilliant advice there!
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why breed adult snakes and incubate eggs? im not saying its not true of course, because I have very little knowlege compared to some of you guys, I just dont see how thats gonna prepare you any more than not doing it, I agree about having a bitey snake though I have seen few people recomend that advice, and I would love to help out at a reptile centre or zoo or something like that its just finding one and the time to do it, maybe one day
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: