Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I want a dwa liscence
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom1400
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: I want a dwa liscence Reply with quote

Hi just to say hi as i'm new to this forum. Cutting a long story short i would like to get a dwa when i'm 18 next year. I have been doing research on some of my favourite venomous snakes for a little while now and i will be until i'm 18. Here's a list of some of the snakes i would like
Gaboon viper
Copperhead
Diamondback rattle snake

Are these good beginner venomous snakes. I live in gravesend and if i'm free tomorrow i might go to the local council and ask for a dwa form to go over it and see what they say about keeping venomous snakes. Just a few questions here

1-what woulf you reccomend as a first dwa snake

2- how much experience do you need with reptiles before i apply for a dwa

Thankyou for reading my thread tom.
x1 dog-buffy
x50 koi carp (for sale)
x20 goldfish

And 1 sister
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know very little so I'm not gonna really give advice all I will say though is a gaboon is definitely not a beginner hot, a copper head is more like it.

How long have you been keeping snakes??
tom1400
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i have been keeping snakes since last november but am always upgrading my collection.
x1 dog-buffy
x50 koi carp (for sale)
x20 goldfish

And 1 sister
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

other experienced people will give you advice but, its not somthing that should not be jumped into and id say less than a years experience with snakes is not enough to be getting a potentially deadly snake
lizard man
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, again im not to hot on venomous but im with Si86 on this, gaboon is the heaviest bodied venomous snake, and western and eastern diamondbacks arnt beginner either.
Personally id stick with non venomous for a few years, get used to how to react around snakes and how diversely species act and react.
but this is just my views have a wait and see what the experienced guys have to say

Steve
bloodycurtus
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with the comments made. unless u haven't updated your signature only having a royal isn't enough experience for hots you need to pick a species and try to get a not venomous that has similar traits so if you want a gaboon get some experience with blood python of course this is my opinion sure others have there own.
seriously wouldn't go for a diamond back as as starter though
tom1400
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to everyone who replied. I will definatly upgrade my snake collection first and see how that goes.
x1 dog-buffy
x50 koi carp (for sale)
x20 goldfish

And 1 sister
Drymarchon32
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been several posts over the last month or so on this topic, and the resounding opinion is do your research, get as much experience with as many non-venomous species as possible and then think again about what you are thinking about getting yourself into.
I read this on another forum

Quote:
My good friend the late James Ashe once gave very good advice for anyone starting out who wished to keep venomous snakes, and I quote -

"Think very very carefully about it, then reject the idea"

A
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a good quote
reeve105a
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drymarchon32 wrote:
There have been several posts over the last month or so on this topic, and the resounding opinion is do your research, get as much experience with as many non-venomous species as possible.

I'm going to wait a few days then I'm going to start a new topic:
I would like to get a dwa. I've kept some crickets and 1 anole. I feel that I now have enough experience to keep venomous snakes. I was thinking of starting with a King cobra then I want to get a saltwater croc... Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: