Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone ever used wormsdirectuk.co.uk?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil1988
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Anyone ever used wormsdirectuk.co.uk? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of raising some maggots (non-dyed) into flies to feed my chameleon and crestie. Just for something different for them to hunt. Anyway I found www.wormsdirectuk.co.uk to order maggots from and was wondering if anybody had used that site before.
Phil1988
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody then? Ahh well guess I'll let you know how it goes.
serpent
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to buy maggots from a mail order company for £4.95 Shocked Shocked when you can go to any fishing tackle shop and get a pint of non dyed plain white maggots (bluebottle) for around £2.00 -£2.45, or if you want the smaller maggot or fly ask for 'squats' which are the house fly or if the large green bottle is required then ask for 'gozzers'

Worms are the same, I ordered 1/2kg of earthworms from my local tackle shop and it cost £6.50 and just because i'm tight I then weighed them after taking out the very small amount of soil ...... slightly over weight Very Happy

A quick tip if buying worms,
Place a few layers of very damp newpaper in a container, spread some worms EVENLY over the paper then add some more layers of damp newpaper then some more worms etc etc until the supply of worms has run out, replace the lid and place in the fridge for about 24hrs. The worms clean themselves while squirming about and also absorb the water .... finished product .....big juicy and clean worms Very Happy
lol93
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get my maggots from the fishing tackle shop too. It's about 2.50 for a fresh tub, then if you clean the tub and take it back they refill it for a pound cheaper. Smile My newts and axie love them, as well as my cham.

Good tip about the worms Serpent- thanks!
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, guess I'll go look for a tackle shop Very Happy
Phil1988
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for that advice guys I went to my nearest fishing shop and it was 60p to buy a small black round tub and then 1.40 to have it filled up so £2 in all and there's a lot of maggots. I guess if I took the empty tub back next time it'd be just £1.40 to fill it again.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: