Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

general viv heating question and FWC..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: general viv heating question and FWC.. Reply with quote

could someone help me out please, I'm not sure if this is really the right section but I have a false water cobra reserved to pick up in the near future.

I have a question I shall be keeping her in a 4 foot tank for now what heating do you suggest would a heat mat be sufficient or should I be using a light instead?

I have read that they have to be kept at quite high temps and I'm having trouble with the temps in my royals tank at the moment, I have a heat mat covering 1/3 of the tank but am finding it hard to get the tank hot enough so I'm a bit worried about going out and buying just a heat mat for the new tank what do you think?

Also any other info from experience would be cool because I haven't been able to find out too much about them.
Drymarchon32
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about getting a ceramic lamp or heater to heat up the air temps Smile
Your mat will just heat up whatever it hits, like the substrate, if you are going to keep FWC you may want to think about a different setup than your royals. Confused
You mention a 4foot tank, what are the dimensions? FWC's are pretty active and will want a decent sized enclosure IMO. Wink
Have you got a pic of your enclosure?

Al
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havnt set it up yet and I dont have a working camera at the moment.

like I said I cant find practically any info about them on the net I was just thinking a 6 foot snake would be ok in a 4 foot viv but shes nothing like that big yet so she should be ok for now.

the tanks 4 foot by 18" deep x 15" high
serpent
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the tanks 4 foot by 18" deep x 15" high

This size viv is a bit small for such an active snake, I would suggest at least a 48 x 24 x 24 with a few branches or a narrow shelf along the back wall.

IMHO heatmats are great for plastic containers ..... THAT IS ALL.
For a 4ft Viv, a 100w caged spotlight bulb will be needed minimum
If the room is a cool room then a 250w ceramic lamp will be needed.. This MUST be safely caged, flesh will stick to these if touched.

http://forum.kingsnake.com/rearfang/messages/692.html
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get such conflicting info about heating but I think we are all agreed that the viv isnt big enough so I will have to postpone that plan for now
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: