Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

?? for the people that own hots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I知 hoping to get a copperhead as my first hot sometime next year or the year after, I have just bought a book about venomous snakes in captivity but it has to come from the US and could take up to a month so I will have to be patient, I have just been reading up on here and another book I have about venomous snakes at the moment, I know this does nothing to practically prepare me but its all a step in the right direction, and I知 not going to rush into anything.

I'm hoping to go and see someone痴 collection of venomous this Sunday, he may be a member here actually, but it will be the first time I have ever seen any venomous snakes in the flesh except our common adder, so I知 quite excited, I think he said he has about 30 different ones at the moment.
snakelily
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHOAA!!!! I just saw an African Gaboon Viper at the store this afternoon!! Shocked

Massive! And it has the most amazing scales I've ever seen. They kind of look feathery.... I wanted very much do put my face right up on the glass so I could inspect this better, but I remembered what Trueviper said about is snake smashing its face against the glass, and I didn't want that to happen... Amazing animal.

Quote:
This particular puff was as sedate as a doorstop,

LOL, arietans!! Some doorstep! Laughing

Gents, I really thank for your candid accounts of your lives as hot keepers. Never a dull moment, it looks like. This has been such a fun thread.... And all because I wandered in here (I forget why, idle curiousity I guess) and asked if anyone ever got bit.

I would have been surprised if nobody had... I know a guy who works in a wildlife preserve, and even he got bit, by a cottonmouth. She was on the other end of a rather large tank, and he thought he could just quickly take out the water bowl when next thing he knew she was firmly attached to his hand... Mad
arietans
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks arietans.

I think I'm going to print that off and stick it on the wall in my snake room.

A good plan. A puff adder bite, even from a hatchling, is easily one of the most painful experiences you will have. Add the life threatening scenario to that and you have a serious problem.
For the Gaboon Bite, well I suppose you could multiply the puff bite by 10 or so. The yield and the depth at which the fangs penetrate are going to cause you serious problems.

I am just glad one person could learn from my experience. Keep it safe mate Smile
trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arietans wrote:

For the Gaboon Bite, well I suppose you could multiply the puff bite by 10 or so. The yield and the depth at which the fangs penetrate are going to cause you serious problems.

Yeah right, I've read about that.

And the fact that the Gaboon Viper is a species less inclined to strike, doesn't make it any less worrying.
trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Si86 wrote:
I知 hoping to get a copperhead as my first hot sometime next year or the year after, I have just bought a book about venomous snakes in captivity but it has to come from the US and could take up to a month so I will have to be patient, I have just been reading up on here and another book I have about venomous snakes at the moment, I know this does nothing to practically prepare me but its all a step in the right direction, and I知 not going to rush into anything.

I'm hoping to go and see someone痴 collection of venomous this Sunday, he may be a member here actually, but it will be the first time I have ever seen any venomous snakes in the flesh except our common adder, so I知 quite excited, I think he said he has about 30 different ones at the moment.

Sounds to me like you have the right attitude, doing plenty of research. Believe me you can never do enough.

And it looks like youv'e found yourself a mentor as well. Spending time with some one older who keeps hots should help you no-end, I'm glad youv'e found some one you can learn from.

Have fun at your visit with him, sounds like a great collection Smile
funky
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been following this thread with total awe of you guys. Im extremely scared of ANY snakes, A real bad phobia from when I was a kid.
But I find myself reading this with so much interest, I think you guys are extremely brave, or mad as a march hare... Very Happy
snakelily
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have been following this thread with total awe of you guys.

Yeah, me too, funky. I was scared of my hognose who hissed everytime I stuck my hand in her viv, and she was no bigger than a pencil.

Actually, I was scared of the Gaboon Viper I saw the other day at the pet store, and he was behind glass. He was just lying there facing in my direction and probably asleep, but seeing him up close like that sure got my blood pressure up.... I would have loved to put my face right up at the glass to get a better look at those peculiar scales, but doing so seemed dangerous!!
Lol, I am such a @#@$$%@$ Rolling Eyes

I wonder are there any gals that keep hots? (This gal obviously never will...)
arietans
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know many hotkeeper ladies personally.

They tend to make better keepers than guys, because they don't have this ego driven thing going. Alot of guys don't either, but there are many who do.
Women also tend to listen better and learn faster. The animal also gets nurtured better. Instead of a hidebox and a water dish, they end up making this elaborate jungle, which looks absolutely awesome Smile
leeroytheboy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got into it by first having and getting used to a False Water Cobra about 6 years ago. I was unsure of the snakes toxidity, so I treated it as venomous. As it is. Mildly. But realising that a very aggressive FWC was probably harder to handle than alot of the vipers I decided to get some other things.

It really was a bit of training with the FWC withoout realising it!!!
I have never had any near misses but thats because I have a sign in my studio that says "Remember....these are loaded guns"........because you can become complacent. Here is the shiftbox that I use for securing my snakes or moving them to different vivs or vet etc They are perfectly lockable, and you can safely work in the viv, and still see the snake.

Side view

Front lock detail

Its location in the viv

Front view

How it sits normally as a hide

trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the shiftbox/hide idea. Great approach for controling hots Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: