Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

?? for the people that own hots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snakelily
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The general consensus is that you should keep non-lethal species for an extended period of time before you move on to hots and I agree with this 100%

Unfortunately I NEVER heard that until AFTER I aqquired my DWA lisense...

Does this mean you got bit, trueviper?

Does anyone ever get bitten?

Si86, a suggestion I read about concerning preparing yourself for a venomous snake would be an Emerald Tree Boa. Apparently they can't really be tamed, not reliably anyway, and have the longest teeth of all snakes! It's recommended to only handle them with a snake hook. That should definitely put you in the mood of what's to come Wink
trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snakelily wrote:
Quote:
The general consensus is that you should keep non-lethal species for an extended period of time before you move on to hots and I agree with this 100%

Unfortunately I NEVER heard that until AFTER I aqquired my DWA lisense...

Does this mean you got bit, trueviper?

No I've never been bitten Wink

All I was saying was I wasn't told to keep non-venomous snakes first thats all Smile
arietans
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting bit is unfortunately a risk you take. Its a part of the game.
I have been seriously envenomated three times.

Working with a lot of non-venomous snakes does not change the risk factor
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arietans, which species did you get bit by? what do you think was the main reasons they managed to bite you?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
arietans
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got nailed by a 5 foot male Puff Adder through complacency.
I have a lasting reminder that no snake should ever be underestimated.

I got nailed by a Boomslang during a snake demonstration.
A child ran across the demo floor and I had to get the snake away from him as fast as possible. I grabbed it mid body and pulled back. It got startled and bit me on the muscle between the neck and the shoulder.

I got nailed by an adult Rinkhals.
The bite was a feeding response bite. I opened the enclosure to put its food in and it charged and bit the first thing it could find, which happened to be my hand.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so possibly two out of the three were complacency, I would guess that that has to be the number one factor in the majority of bites.

I must confess that sometimes I have become complacent and tried cutting corners while changing water bowls etc It's hard not to sometimes but I have always managed to snap out of it and so far have been lucky.

So I'm guessing the puff was the last one?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
arietans
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The puff adder bite was my first bite.

The rinkhals bite happened so fast!! There was no way of avoiding it. He bit the hand that was opening the cage door.
The elapids can move like lightning when they want to. A cobra etc. chasing its food down is like a train. They move very very quickly.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing yep, had naja kauothia a few years back, I thought I'd show a friend the big female be 'poking' her out the nest box hide and BANG she not only came out the box before I could bring my hand & stick out but she also beat my hand out the viv...luckily my friend also had fast reactions and ran off out the room slamming and locking the door on the way out...that made the viv vibrate a little distracting the grumpy cobra long enough for me to retreat Laughing

My friend never did explain why he not only ran out but also locked the reptile room door...did he really think the cobra was going to open the door and chance him Laughing

arietans
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
yep, had naja kauothia a few years back, I thought I'd show a friend the big female be 'poking' her out the nest box hide and BANG she not only came out the box before I could bring my hand & stick out but she also beat my hand out the viv...luckily my friend also had fast reactions and ran off out the room slamming and locking the door on the way out...that made the viv vibrate a little distracting the grumpy cobra long enough for me to retreat

My friend never did explain why he not only ran out but also locked the reptile room door...did he really think the cobra was going to open the door and chance him

LOL
I have had many visitors like that too. The cobras always surprise them.
Funnily enough, a mate of mine and myself had a discussion about that this weekend.
He reckons the two worst feelings of fear he has ever had happened in my hot room.

The first one: I sometimes forget that not everyone I know is at ease with venomous reptiles. He happens to be one of them. One day I was busy removing a retained cap off a cottonmouth, and absentmindedly handed him the snake with the phrase "here, hold this".
He reckons every time he hears that phrase he gets cold shivers.

The second time I was cleaning a trapbox of one particularly nasty Black Mamba female. When I took the mamba out the bin again, it flew out like greased lightning in his general direction. I tailed it and returned it to its cage, turned around and looked at a very pale faced friend Smile
He is still not able to look at her in the cage Smile
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
I can imagine doing that myself..."hear hold this" Laughing

My worst/funniest one was whilst taking photos of my gilas, we had several cages open and taking some great pics when POP....out went ALL the lights, now being as it was sunny out you'd think that wouldn't be such an issue BUT my reptile building has NO windows or roof lights Laughing ...therefore we were in TOTAL darkness..

Pretty sure we started laughing, while slowly trying to feel our way back towards the door. The room was pretty messing at the time and there wasn't an easy direct route back but we managed to get out in one piece and I turned the power back on, put all the gilas back and everything was fine Laughing Ever since then I have had emergancy lighting in the room that cuts on if power fails Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: