Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where's best to see reptiles in central Scotland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crunchie
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Where's best to see reptiles in central Scotland Reply with quote

Hi all wondering if anyone can help,
Me and a friend have sort of taken up hillwalking this year and the other day we were climbing Ben Venue in the Trossachs and I found myself wondering if the habitat was good for any of our native herps. We saw frog spawn in some of the pools but no reptiles. The walk started out as a forest walk (conifers mainly) then went onto open moorland with a lot of heather though it was a bit boggy.
Anyway as I like a bit of wildlife photography I was wondering if anyone knew of any good places to spot native reptiles that I could maybe take a look into while out and about. Our main walking area is the Trossachs and the Ochil hills though I guess we will travel further afield eventually.

The only native I've ever seen was a common lizard in Devon and I lived in Oxford for 3.5 years at uni. There were grass snakes near me apparently but I never saw any, it'd be great to see at least maybe slow worms, common lizards or adders in the wild. Crying or Very sad

Even if someone PMs me this'd be great, I know you can never be too careful with posting info on where to find these animals on the web.
slippery42
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: falkirk Reply with quote

Adders, common lizard and Slow worm are all present in your area!

Grass Snakes are absent from Scotalnd!!

Using Nikon D300's and pro lenses
Crunchie
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: falkirk Reply with quote

slippery42 wrote:
Adders, common lizard and Slow worm are all present in your area!

Grass Snakes are absent from Scotalnd!!

Oh I know that much I'm just unsure what kind of habitat I should be looking in. Are they more likely to be found way out in the countryside like on my hill walks or will they be nearer to civilisation. Smile
Dragon Breeder
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anywhere in dumfries and galloway should throw up some native reptiles , in a week i found
common toads 4 (at night with no torch ha ha - i am weird that way)
uncountable common lizards - photographed 1
2 adders - 3 or 4 times consecutive days basking

and beautiful scenery lots of wildlife and amazing walks - dozens of buzzards - and literally tonnes of pheasants - really nice place to go i recommend it

and if you choose to go there say on a holiday heres where i think you should go - nice quiet place - not too bad from newton stewart for all your shopping and its fulled with wildlife ha ha

www.glentroolholidaypark.co.uk

its amazing there - cant plug it enough ha ha
8.10.11 + 14 eggs Cape House Snake
0.2.1 Leopard Gecko
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dragon Breeder
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and if you go - go to penninghamme pond - WOW
and the woods of cree nature reserve - filled to the brims with Dor Beetles (uk equivalent to dung beetles) and there are otters - i came accross one in a burn when i had the dog - vanished before i got any snap shots though Crying or Very sad

it is really fantastic - i love it there haha

really a great place to go

Erik
8.10.11 + 14 eggs Cape House Snake
0.2.1 Leopard Gecko
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: