Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please please please can someone help me with this D.W.A
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIGAL45
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Please please please can someone help me with this D.W.A Reply with quote

Please please please can someone help me with this D.W.A thing

Hello all I am new here I am after some advice on getting a D.W.A licence
I live in Rotherham south Yorkshire .I am looking at getting a Dwarf caiman or a dwarf crocodile I used to keep monitors and have kept some big boas in the past but dew to illness I had to give reptile keeping up.
So for the last three years I have not kept any pets .I am looking at converting half of my garage in to a reptile room as the car is too big to go into it now the room I will have to play with is approximately 8.5 ft wide by 9ft long by 7ft high and it has cctv connected to the house
I am looking for info on how to apply for a D.W.A and what things do I need to think about when designing and building my enclosure I am planning to start on it next month I have been doing a lot of reading about Dwarf caiman (Paleosuchus Palpebrosus) and Dwarf crocodiles
(Osteolaemus Tetraspis) well I say a lot there’s not all that much on keeping them on the net I did get two books on keeping Crocodilians in Captivity they are good if you live in the US is there any croc keepers here in the UK that can help me and point me in the right direction
My reason for wanting to keep a caiman or dwarf croc is that I have always wanted one from being a kid and seeing them in zoos .also how does the new animal welfare act affect reptile keeping just wondering as I have been hearings a lot about it on the radio and a lot of people seem to be saying different things .?????
bloodycurtus
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that they are proposing bring the dwarf crocs and dwarf caiman off the dwal
another thought if your illness forced you to give up rep keeping in the past would this not hinder the keeping of crocs?
BIGAL45
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Thanks for replying I heard that too Reply with quote

Thanks for replying I heard that too a long time a go as for my heath I am 100 and 10 % fit now the problem I had was I lived on my own at the time and I regret letting them go I have also read some were that there is a D.W.A course run some where in the UK I have been looking but I cannot find any info on it
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard of the possibility of them coming off of DWA anyway but whether that is an unfounded rumor or not is another matter, I have heard so many different things that its not worth speculating.
Mememe
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Si86 wrote:
I heard of the possibility of them coming off of DWA anyway but whether that is an unfounded rumor or not is another matter, I have heard so many different things that its not worth speculating.

TBH, they pose no threat to the public. I doubt a caiman would be able to make it very far!
Having said that, logic isn't the rule these things seem to go by Rolling Eyes

No man is an Island. Except the Isle of Man.
bloodycurtus
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for replying I heard that too Reply with quote

BIGAL45 wrote:
as for my heath I am 100 and 10 % fit now

glad to here that best bet is to speak to your local council about getting a dwa
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mememe wrote:
Si86 wrote:

TBH, they pose no threat to the public. I doubt a caiman would be able to make it very far!
Having said that, logic isn't the rule these things seem to go by Rolling Eyes

some things on it seem very stupid, lemurs for one and I believe squirrel monkeys are on it as well
bloodycurtus
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont think anything can beat the fac that tamarins are covered by dwa and komodos arnt
serpent
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have been doing a lot of reading about Dwarf caiman (Paleosuchus Palpebrosus) and Dwarf crocodiles
(Osteolaemus Tetraspis) well I say a lot there’s not all that much on keeping them on the net

Have you tried these two sites ?

http://crocodilian.com/paleosuchus/

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herpetology/brittoncrocs/csl.html
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know much about the DWA process but i imagine a few of the species put on there are to make it more difficult to own rather than being a danger to the public, so limiting the amount of people that keep them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: