Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

baby beardie I need a little help (sad story)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aidan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manz think its time this geeeza got a vists from the mandem and show him what its like to have broken arms and stuff and not be fed.

2.4. beardies
1.1 fire n uce beardies
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
0.0.1 corns
0.0.2 crested geckos
whiteraven666
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEFINATELY
Treakle (leopard gecko)
Jake (Baby beardie)
Draven (corn snake)
Denzil (chequered garter snake)
Samson+Mickey (Crested geckos)
Cody (Velvet gecko)
whiteraven666
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anyone wants hes mobile number or adress then pm me
Treakle (leopard gecko)
Jake (Baby beardie)
Draven (corn snake)
Cody (Velvet gecko)
whiteraven666
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He ate a calcigrub on hes own today

hes growing so quickly Very Happy
Treakle (leopard gecko)
Jake (Baby beardie)
Draven (corn snake)
Cody (Velvet gecko)
Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brilliant news. when he has grown a bit more could you show us some "after" pictures??
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IL have phone number and address we start with phone calls see how he likes that

2.4. beardies
1.1 fire n uce beardies
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
0.0.1 corns
0.0.2 crested geckos
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a look at the pics last night, can't believe someone would let this animal get in this state..

All the other stuff as well, he needs his knees removing.

handsome looking face on the beardie, I am sure it will get to trust you in time!

Is there any chance of its legs growing back? (I know some lizards can regenerate lost tails etc..)

good work with it!
callmechook
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His legs wont regrow but they can adapt amazingly to disability and go on to have a very good quality of life given the right owner.
Reading this hes one lucky little dragon because its clear that's exactly what he does have now. All my very best for both of you and well done for taking this on, lots of people would find it daunting to say the least. I have one with half a rear leg missing (parental damage due to planks being sold animals then breeding them), his brother has two missing yet both are happy healthy dragons and mine at least has bred, so as they say where there's a will there's a way. Laughing
Keep it up, these are definitely animals that respond to good care and thrive on it, its the best medicine you can give him and its clear hes getting all that's he needs Very Happy
Feeding wise, if hes still nervous maybe try putting his food into a hide if he can get under it as well so that he feels extra confident and unobserved, also you could try adding feeder insects to his greens and different greens if hes showing reluctance to eat those, mine absolutely adore thawed frozen peas, butternut squash strawberries and very young spinach, if the insects (I'd try maybe mealies) are in that food and he eats it he will start to pick up the insects as well. If hes not showing too much interest in insects mine take mice and raw or cooked chicken both of which provide protein the same as insects. I just add calcium to all food to make sure they get what the need in that respect.
You can also try chopping the food very fine so that he doesn't have to work at eating it, there's a great dragon site, I'll give the link on here, that lists all sorts of different foods you can try until you find one that he is really interested in.
I'd bear in mind that if hes not very active his brain 'might' be telling him hes not too hungry which can be a worry, if you can find a way that's not too stressful to either you or him a warm bath now and then might help him get exercise and stimulate his appetite, many beardies seem to enjoy it and the water will help him to feel more inclined to move around. Gently covering him in a towel so that he cant see should make him settle enough to pick up and move without him panicking. Baths are also good for stimulating his bowels so that he can poo easily, constipation can also come from not being very active and would make him less inclined to eat.
Sorry this is such a long post I just found it and thought I'd stick up everything I could think of that you might try to help him recover, some bits might not work but I hope its given you some other ideas and apologies if I have doubled up on any advice already given. Please remember this is 'might' not set in stone but is stuff that I've tried and found useful but that your Beardie isn't mine and they are all different, however if there is anything at all I can help you with please shout me and if I don't know I'll do my best to find someone for you that does Very Happy xxx

I used this site as my 'Bible' when I first got my Dragons, they are doing very well and I seem to be getting it mostly right Laughing if them stuffing their faces all the time is any indication, Good Luck hon, keep up the good work and don't worry that guy will get whats coming to him, the rectum xxxxxx

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
whiteraven666
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hya Callmechook. Thanks for that reply hunni.x

im gunna try throwing a few crickets in with him tomorrow night or the mronign after and see if he wants to know and then leave the house to make it quiet.

if he doesnt eat those i was told not to worry too much because when reptiles are stressed they slow their metabolisms down (is this correct?)

He ate a waxworm this morning which was hand fed.
Treakle (leopard gecko)
Jake (Baby beardie)
Draven (corn snake)
Cody (Velvet gecko)
callmechook
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it would actually slow the metabolism down but at a guess I would think like us if hes worried he wouldn't feel like eating much. I'm sure that as long as he doesn't seem to be losing weight and he does eat something if only small amounts then he should be ok. Hand feeding is an excellent way to build trust so if he will take even small amounts this way keep going hon, it will all help to reassure him that you don't have any plans to suddenly do something nasty like eat him Smile For myself I'd be happy with little bits now and then rather than nothing at all. You sound like your doing everything you can and using your intuition to guide you backed up with research and good old fashioned questions, you can't get better than that. As long as he isn't all that mobile he just won't need the kind of amounts that a fully mobile Beardie will but that really doesn't mean he won't do well, just that expectations of food amounts he requires need to be adjusted to take that into account. I'm so pleased that this little guy is now with someone as dedicated to caring for him as you obviously are! Reps in general could do with more people like you Smile xxxx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: