Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keeping Meal Worms Plump
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Insectsunlimited
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I used to drive a merc & was going to retire on a boat on the broads but they both went. I lost so much & had a major reality-check that totally turned my way of life round but expanding the insects & keeping it positive... probably saved me my marbles. I`m not in any way after sympathy (& although it took some adjusting), I`m now quite happy with my lot. Who REALLY wants to work 80 hours a week anyway. I do more than that now but I AM home all the time. Regards... Dave.

It may be the early bird that gets the worm but it`s the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right half of my morios have now pupated. I sat in mt livefood room in the wee early hours de-potting them Laughing Quite enjoyed it as it goes. Anyone got any idea on how long they will take before turning into Beatles? I have laid them out on bran Is 80f hot enough for them? Thanks

Insectsunlimited
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Morio pupation Reply with quote

Hi Rick, They turn into beetles & beetles are notoriously unreliable at being nailed down to "so long" for this or "so many" for that. They do it when THEY are ready but usually if you keep them at a steady 80d F, keep an eye on them after about a fortnight & day by day, some will start getting darker.Eyes form & become noticeable first & from there it`s just a few days before they will become beetles, white at first (obviously). These will darken over the next 36 hours until they attain their black livery. Cheers... Dave.

It may be the early bird that gets the worm but it`s the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dave.

Insectsunlimited
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: morio`s Reply with quote

No probs Rick... One thing I forgot to mention, once they are moving, some may be upside down, kicking their legs in the air. GENTLY turn them up onto their feet & most will stay that way. If they stay upside down from when they pupate... They will eventually give up kicking helplessly... & die. Cheers ...Dave.

Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: morio`s Reply with quote

Insectsunlimited wrote:
No probs Rick... One thing I forgot to mention, once they are moving, some may be upside down, kicking their legs in the air. GENTLY turn them up onto their feet & most will stay that way. If they stay upside down from when they pupate... They will eventually give up kicking helplessly... & die. Cheers ...Dave.

I feel like that after a good night out. Cheers Dave Wink

Insectsunlimited
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: memories Reply with quote

Can`t remember when I last got like that. Must get a life. lol. The reason, in case you wondered, why these are so totally helpless when just about to embark on an adult life & "propagate" is because their wings are soft & can`t support their weight to flip them over. Dave

Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed this non ability to flip over in standard mealworm beetles. Coincidentally my original few morio beetles are still thriving and producing I should have made a note of how old they are.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: