Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

24hr lights?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varanus
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean wrote:
Ok crocdoc you might see that as a bit of a sweeping statement but I was just basing it on the stats of the average room temp to be around 70f or so they say.

exact same thing happens here at night all off and room temps are the night time lows they get
Sean
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 24/7 LIGHTING Reply with quote

varanus wrote:
johne.ev wrote:
HI.

Personally i use a day night cycle, 12 on 12 off. to say something is more natural when talking about captive bred reptiles (as opposed to WC) is slightly missing the point. as captive bred reptiles don't really know anything about natural conditions, other than what we provide them with. although 24hr light does seem very hard to accept.
regards.

While I see what your saying about CB the problem isnt simply WC animals needing what they are used to its CB and WC needing what they evolved to survive in to me

Yes Paul I could not have explained it any better.
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely agree, well said Paul Wink
AlbigularisCrazy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all have very good points, but is it natural to keep them in cages? with fake suns(bulbs)? Not natural substrait(ie not what the live on in the wild)? Foods (They don't eat crix and rodents)? How bout temps(fluctuates more in the wild)? ALL this is UNNATURAL. In the wild there surviving, in captivity there thriving and living. I just see things differently than you guys, and that's ok. No one has to agree or disagree etc....

Chad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AlbigularisCrazy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add, Trying to mimic nature is imposable, i don't care how hard or long you try or even close you think you getting it is imposable to copy mother nature. If you haven't tried it you don't know how it works, or if you tried it for a Short period, that doesn't prove it wrong or right, like my self with my current albig only being 1.5 years old. The bosc is not in my hands but 8 years old, but its still young as you all know, I'm going to keep using 24/7 lighting, maybe years down the road it will be more widely accepted out side the US.

Chad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AlbigularisCrazy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add, Trying to mimic nature is imposable, i don't care how hard or long you try or even close you think you getting it is imposable to copy mother nature. If you haven't tried it you don't know how it works, or if you tried it for a Short period, that doesn't prove it wrong or right, like my self with my current albig only being 1.5 years old. The bosc is not in my hands but 8 years old, but its still young as you all know, I'm going to keep using 24/7 lighting, maybe years down the road it will be more widely accepted out side the US.

Chad
crocdoc
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

still waiting for the proof you were telling us about.

I'm not going saying that it's bad or good, but you said you had proof that it had no effect on longevity and I am waiting for your proof.

Quote:
whats your longevity? in what conditions what diet? etc etc... Prove your point, if you want me to prove mine I'm more than willing to.
AlbigularisCrazy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did done, just that my longevity isn't long enough We went through this twice already. I guess it wasn't "proof" 8 years, like i said already in a few years 10+ ill let you know how the albig and bosc are doing, if you or i are still around i guess. You personally have had ALOT more success than i have. So i guess that leaves me behind. But almost everything if not everything of keeping them is unnatural, so whats SO wrong with 24/7lighting? I'm at a lost now. I'm fighting a lost battle.

Chad :/
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chad,
It's no 'battle', you are trying something that many others wouldn't. I personally don't think it will do any more damage to your lizards than certain diets that people use or feeding regimes.

This is what forums are about, discussing ideas and different methods, we're not all going to agree and use the same so it's good to hear what other people are doing, so long as they stick to facts and observations etc.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
crocdoc
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad, the reason I keep harping on about the proof is simple.

No one knows the long term effects of 24/7 lights because no one has been trying it on monitors long enough to know if it is still possible for them to live long lives under those conditions. When I say long lives, I mean 30 years, not 1.5 or 8. So you can't go around telling people you have 'proof' of 24/7 lights having no effects on longevity because no one knows that for sure. Even you said yourself that the 8 year old sav wasn't raised on 24/7 lights but has been switched to that only recently.

Although captivity isn't nature, monitors are still natural animals. They are adapted for things like circadian rythms, even when they aren't in nature. I don't follow that whole 'this ain't nature, so why try to do anything natural' argument, for if that were the case we'd be keeping them in plastic boxes on newspaper and feeding them vegetables (using your own argument: 'they may be carnivores in nature, but this isn't nature').

24/7 lighting clearly does no immediate damage to monitors. I've used it myself with my first monitor when it was young, as it was mid winter when I got it and I had no other way of heating its enclosure at night at the time (I now set up hatchlings and juveniles differently than I did then).

It isn't just the 24/7 lights that may (or may not) affect them, it's the fact that they're pretty much living life in 'hyperdrive' because of the associated access to warmth 24/7. They're eating more, growing faster, breeding younger. Every study on any other animal doing the same has resulted in them dying younger. The old 'a candle that burns twice as quickly lasts half as long' adage.

Does it matter? Not really. Long lived, short lived, faster growth, slower growth. It's all personal choice.

My personal reason for not using 24/7 lights is simply because I like my animals having a sense of day and night. And they act accordingly, responding to the circadian rhythm. I'd hate to live in a brightly lit room 24/7 (regardless of being able to hide from the dark under my bedsheets) so why subject my monitors to that?

Adding to the Sweden 24/7 sun discussion: I grew up in Canada and a fair few of my zoology colleagues spent summers up north. They said that the endless sun in summer drove them nuts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: