Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

non native?!?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HerpCrazy!!!
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure that they are Atta cephalotes from Trinidad but I will check tomorrow Smile
trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a quick look on the net and the only ant farm i could find was 17cm wide. Must be bigger ant colonies can grow huge!

It was a Space age one with glow gel or something!

I want one the size of a TV! Laughing Laughing

anyway you can buy ants for it but no queen ant! Rolling Eyes
HerpCrazy!!!
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen those Smile They look pretty cool and as long as you have a Queen to start the colony, it will only get as large as the food source/teriitory size allow. Pharoah ant colonies can run on about 150-200 ants, although normally larger, up to 500-600. Still thats pretty small eh? I will see if I can get 'styled' formicariums from the ant guy Wink I'm sure he seels the full whack, colony and all.[/i]
HerpCrazy!!!
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a look at an 'antkeeping website' and found this:

"Hi, I have had one of those ant farms. They are rubbish, and I would not recommend them to anyone. Here are some reasons why:-

1. They find it hard to dig.

2. It has a stupid lid which is stiff and airtight.

3. It says you don't need to feed them, but you do because the gel only feeds workers and not larvae.

4.The colony sits on the surface.

5. Few species can actually tunnel into it. E.g. Species of Harvester ants.

6. The ants dig for a day, then seem to give up.

7. When the ants die, they go mouldy in the gel.

8. The gel is too moist, so the ants get stuck in it.

9. The container is tiny.

10. The price is an unbelievable £20 - £25 for piece of rubbish, when you could buy 2 AntWorlds for the same price."

Trying to find out what 'antworlds' are Wink
A.m.phibian
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi HerpCrazy,

Sorry to be a smart ar5e but thought I'd point out that the Midwife Toad Alytes Muletensis is an extremely rare species from Northern Majorca and is not found here in the English countryside, the species that has established itself in parts of Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire is Alytes Obstetricans Smile

JacobsEcology,

I didn't know about the Newdigate Alytes, is this a new record? I ask this because the nurserys there are known to have breeding populations of Mesotriton Alpestris, Triturus Carnifex and Pelophylax ridibunda/esculentus. Down in Bournemouth there is a huge population of Podarcis Muralis Spp, the European Wall Lizard, that were released in the early 90's. There is a debate as to whether these are interferring with some of our native herpetofauna Sad
trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HerpCrazy!!! wrote:
I've seen those Smile They look pretty cool and as long as you have a Queen to start the colony, it will only get as large as the food source/teriitory size allow. Pharoah ant colonies can run on about 150-200 ants, although normally larger, up to 500-600. Still thats pretty small eh? I will see if I can get 'styled' formicariums from the ant guy Wink I'm sure he seels the full whack, colony and all.[/i]

Cheers Herpcrazy. Yeah a DECENT and Successful Ant colony would be a pretty cool thing to have and watch! Cool

I didn't like the idea of that gel thing to be honest. A bit gimmicky.

Anyway I'm sure an Ant farm would have to have a queen to function normaly ie eggs and larvae fed and tended by worker ants. Instead of just a bunch of workers milling about doing nothing!

What happens when the new Kings and Queens hatch out and want to fly away?

Not a good idea if there not native? Any info would be great, cheers mate Very Happy
HerpCrazy!!!
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey a.m.phibian Wink Thanks for the correction, learn summat new everyday Smile
dassie
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got an adult male half banded and half striped caliking just up the road from me . No idea where he escaped from !
A.m.phibian
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HerpCrazy!!! wrote:
Hey a.m.phibian Wink Thanks for the correction, learn summat new everyday Smile

No worries HerpCrazy, I suspect the source gave you the wrong latin name by accident Smile...They breed A.Muletensis at Jersey Zoo, am going to visit soon and learn something new myself Smile
Ajfr0ggy
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pharoah ants... I'd be very careful with them, they can very easily become a real problem. As far as I'm aware, their nest can comprise of several queens, so they are very difficult to get rid of. I think theyve been a particular problem with hospitals.

I'd only raise them for food if the area was properly secure, not easy when the ants are about 2mm!

Leaf cutter ants aren't much good as a food, as theyre spiky! Theyre not the easiest, or cheapest foods either!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: