Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My large fiji Viv
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reptilezoo
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only keep the Powersun on during their day time. As for the redlight spotlamp, I got that on a Habistat all the time. Yes, they do need at least 4 UV lights as they have a problem with calcium deficiency. They would eat crickets, hoppers, wax worms and pheonix worms, but only served on tweezers. I give them pheonix worms three times a week and fruit and veg every day.
Luckily for me my mum is also mad on reptiles so it wasn't too hard for me to persuade her. I have them in my room, although I haven't much space left. All the hard work of earning money and building their viv is all worth it when you get them.
If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Luke
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much did the viv cost you?

Hope you don't mind me asking but how old are you?

How did you make the money?

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
Reptilezoo
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't calculated exactly how much the viv was, but an educated guess would be around £250 including all of the lights, fans etc.
I am 17 and to be honest with you, I didn't earn the money to buy them, I just took it out of my savings. I'm paying it back by working at the moment. It will take a long time before I pay it all back.
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£250! that is a good price.

Where did you buy the stuff you made it out of from? and what did you use?

Please could you repeat the size of the vivarium?

What are the fans for?

How did you manage to convince your parents that spending £2000 on 2 lizards was a good idea?

Sorry for asking so many questions

Reptilezoo
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the wood from B&Q in Lakeside. The 4 boards (can't remember the name, sorry) and the two lighter panels of wood for the roof (can't remember the name again, but it's the type of wood which is used at the back of wardrobes) came to £56. I cut the boards of wood to size with a circular saw, although I could have done it at B&Q. I varnished it with water-based varnish and screwed them all in. I cut holes in the roof to put the fans there. The fans are used for better ventilation.I put two strips of the same wood at the back of the viv, horizontally, to support the back boards and another on the ceiling of the viv to support the roof and to stop it from warping in. I then cut the shelves to size and screwed them on using many corner brackets. I put the front panels on also using corner brackets. I sealed the edges using silicone and stuck on the pond liner at the bottom. Then, I drilled a lot of holes in the wood to put the wires in, popped down to homebase to get 8 bags of playsand which cost £40,and stuck them in to the viv. I then went to Hamm reptile show and bought a heck of a lot of stuff to put in there, such as logs, plants, waterfall, lights, basking lamps and fittings and two thermometers, and 2 £1000 iguanas. I put them in a temporary accommodation whilst I finished their viv. When I put them in they went a bit crazy at first as he was chasing her and holding her by the neck. However, they have now calmed down.
The viv wasn't that much because I didn't have to buy the glass. I got the two sliding glass from a double glazing window which I didn't need, and the side glass I had spare. If I had to buy the glass, it would have cost an extra £200.
The viv is 5ft wide, 3ft deep and 6ft high.
To be honest, convincing my parents wasn't really hard. I'm not in a rich family so £2000 on iguanas was ridiculous (according to my father), but luckily for me, my mum convinced him. So, in order to win your parents over, you have to convince your mum first, then you dad is now only half the battle.
Good luck and remember, target your mum first lol
Luke
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers thanks for all the info.

I learnt the mum thing a long time ago lol

Reptilezoo
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol
So are you gonna try and get a couple?
if there are any more questions, I'll be happy to answer them.
Luke
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i would love too, but my mum will make me save up first so it won't be for a while unfortunately.

I do love them though definitely my favorite iggies, or favorite reptile altogether.

What are the cites certificates?

Do the iggies hide allot?

How long have you had yours?

Do you plan to breed them?

Reptilezoo
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too sure what the cites certificates are, but I think its a certificate of ownership of an endangered species. Don't take my word for it though, I might be wrong.
I have had my Iguanas for 2 weeks and a day. They don't hide, but the female hides from him, but you can still see her. At the moment they aren't really moving much so I actually have to put the food right in front of their noses in order for them to eat.
Hopefully, one day I will breed them, although it has been known to be very hard. The breeding part of it isn't hard, it's just the incubation. I think (and I'm not too sure of this) that only one person in the UK has managed to hatch them.
They are very rare animals so a great care would be needed to look after them. i just hope mine would do very well.
Also, a great amount of calcium is needed to be given to them. I was told by a big shop in Essex that it's a 50:50 chance of my iguanas surviving to adulthood due to this calcium deficiency. So, I put in 5 UV sources, put some calcium drops in their waterfall and mistimiser (electronic sprayer), so hopefully that will do the trick
Luke
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you dust the live-foods with calcium as well?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: