Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Albino Skunk,
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like another matter of personal choice. Very well argued both sides I`d say. Cool
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, both interesting points, I have to say I totally agree with Fixx.

I would also love to keep them as pets, everything I have read and seen points to them making great pet animals for the right person.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick mini rant before going back on Skunk topic, sort of related to topics thus far though;

I detest seeing dogs being dressed up in coats and boots, being treated like surrogate children, being carried about in film stars handbags! This sort of behaviour erks me no end. Mini rant over.

Back on topic.

I like the skunks and have done for some time, I doubt however I would get one as a pet, my dog being a Jack Russell (still with tail and cahones) may attack it, he gets quite jealous at times but does know his social place in the pecking order.

Mind you saying that, we kept free range guinea pigs and rabbits in the garden for a good few years, he never attacked them but used to help round them up at inspection time! Quite odd thinking about it as he chases rats and mice and beats the shite out of hedgehogs. But if I told him to leave he would, he needs to know his place for his own security and emotional well being, being a pack animal originally with the associated hierarchy that goes with the pack. This is also a safety issue. Coincidentally I do tell him to leave if he is abusing a hedgehog. I let him clear the shed etc of mice now and then as I dont want them in the shed as thye nibble everything.

Another reason why I probably would not get another animal as a pet, is that I doubt I would have the time to give to it.

I can see both points of view Dans and Fixx's regarding the keeping of the skunks. But I also agree that it is down to perceptions and personal opinions at the end of the day, I don't believe their is a definitive correct answer, as this simply does not exist as it is down to opinions and beliefs.

One could argue for example that it is not correct to keep any speices of animal, or indeed morally correct to domestic such animals, Dogs are a prime example.

Very interesting debate though and nice to see it being dealt with in a mature manner, no room for the I'm right your wrong brigade (if a debate is to be sensible and informative) all that does is result in loggerheads and no one gains anything or learns anything.

Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so i'm fine with the different perspectives and all that jazz. What i find interesting is the difference between right or wrong.
You often hear parents say "It's ok, he/she knows the difference between right and wrong" Yet it seems this too is a point of view, nothing is ever black and white with no grey areas.
I imagine most think beating a dog up and then killing it using a bottle rammed down its throat is just plain wrong, yet someone else thought it ok to do it.
Some people think it right to stick elastic bands around a lambs nuts, some think there are better ways, if it has to be done at all.
Some people think it ok to remove a venemous snakes teeth using the rake method (ie scraping the teeth out) stopping it from biting when scared and trying to defend itself.
Some people think it right to surgically alter a skunk in order to remove a defensive mechanism incase they might get upset and spray a delightful odour.
Some people think it right to take a human baby and cut off his foreskin without even asking or waiting for said baby to reach an age where he can make a decision himself.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be one massive debate; to include, psychology, social norms, peer pressure, cultural issues, traits and customs, incongruence / congruence theory of decision making, religious influence, in fact probably life the universe and everything ! Would be a damn good and very long never ending debate though! The mind boggles! Shocked

42 is the answer!

Mememe
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickeezee wrote:

42 is the answer!

Seconded!

No man is an Island. Except the Isle of Man.
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mememe wrote:
Rickeezee wrote:

42 is the answer!

Seconded!

The motion is therefore passed.

On that note, i'm off to pass another motion Wink

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Mememe
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:

Confused
Not on the floor again!

Laughing

No man is an Island. Except the Isle of Man.
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mememe wrote:
Dan wrote:

Confused
Not on the floor again!

Laughing

Thats a shite picture Tom!

Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who has a free range snake? Laughing
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: