Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

V.Gilleni
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sean
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this as become an interesting thread. I personally think we should focus on the positives that people create. I think there are various elements we can take from each other to make varanus husbandry and breeding techniques and take them further than what we have already achieved. On the FR issue you cannot really argue on his success with breeding results because I personally do not know anyone else who as had this type of success with breeding various species regular on this large scale. I do not agree with all his teachings and methods example the one about the lights being kept on 24/7, I think this is probably for his convenience. As for hybrids I guess this is down to personal taste as to what one likes. In an ideal situation I agree I think species are best kept to their own or specific locality and like you say Bob some of the gouldii complex in the States is not pure anymore. I was talking to a German breeder a few years back and he was talking about glauerti x t. orientalis and then back to glauerti to strengthen the glauerti bloodline.
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting thread indeed, I've always noticed FR on the kingsnake varanid forums and have always never had reason to doubt his experiences. That could be to do with his name not being as widespread over here as in the States however I always like to base a personal opinion on someone. The hybrid issue isn't really for me, I'm not a great fan of locality interbreeding when so little is known about various reptile taxa at the moment let along interspecies breeding. Australian monitors do seem to pop up places so strengthening of lines can always be useful by maybe international/intercontinental breeding with other private keepers rather then 'dirtying' the genes with another species?

Aborgoanna...don't worry about posts or threads going missing on this forum. The idea of it and all the mods working here is to have an open environment where people can express their views as long as they're productive and informatical Wink
arborgoanna
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not doubt the many successes that FR has achieved and pioneered, however it has been shown(by himself getting caught up in his own contradictions/lies) that he "stretches the truth" of his true experiences and successes, just to "pump himself up" and make himself appear larger than life.

Two prime examples of this, includes the claim he made that he has bred EVERY species in his collection past six generations, yet he has never gotten past 2nd or 3rd generations with his mertens and albigularis, and salvadorii. When called out on this, the thread was deleted. Another claim he made just recently, was that he has bred all of the indos before he ever got into the aussie species. On one forum he stated he has bred V. beccarii, V. prasinus, V. indicus, and V. jobiensis, however when somebody confronted him, and pulled up a post from a year earlier(this was long after he gave up on indo species) which had him clearly stating that he has received eggs from the above species, but never hatched any, the thread was quickly deleted.

Since he has built up a reputable name for himself, he has reached the mark where he can claim almost anything(and he does), and most people will believe him. Many of his lies have been uncovered, and brought to attention, however so many people fail to pick up on or acknowledge this and it is all blanketed by his reputation.

I have been around many of the online varanid fora for several years now. After a while you start to pick up on these lies and contradictions, and how the stories change each time they are told... It's good to know that this site doesn't have the apparent censorship that kingsnake has, or another american varanid forum does... How can anybody learn a damn thing when one side of the discussion's voice is completely removed or prevented from ever being posted???
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should see some of the other British forums... Rolling Eyes
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol......Bob, it was because of those types of frustrations and forum inconsistencies that I started this forum up. Oh yeah and the free classifieds above Wink

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Nelson
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There does seem to be a phenomena I call "the reptile mafia" were those with the largest post count must be right!

There is another UK forum that seems to work almost exclusively on this basis, a Cham thread springs to mind Wink Although I know nothing about them (never really interested me, sorry Cham lovers) the "mafia" could not get to grips with the idea that more than 1 can be housed together, only "I was told this, so it must be correct" there was no "how was this possible" just a resounding "computer says no". This is also true of the Beardie crowd, as I'm very aware!

With Retes, I have read things he's put in a post that go round in circles, or indeed contradict previous posts but he has brought the "stack" to the world, which I'd be lost without!

Not everything in black and white is true, you need to separate the wheat from the chaff and come up with an answer that works for you and your charges.

Late night rant over.
jim_radley
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I founds these pictures whilst trwling the web and thought some of you may like a peak?!

Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent pics Jim, good find.
jim_radley
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Jas! One day I will own some of these lizards! I may need to remorgage my place though!!! Laughing
Nelson
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: