Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MORE pics of some of my geckos & a question . . .
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Geckos - ALL species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kroakykaren
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are all looking stunning Paul Very Happy
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youve got a cool collection going on paul Wink im loving the word 'cresticles' by the way Wink Laughing
dantro
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once those Steno's start popping they just dont stop Paul! ...
i came home tonite and had one hatching emerging and another about to pop ... Laughing
PaulG
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantro wrote:
Once those Steno's start popping they just dont stop Paul! ...
i came home tonite and had one hatching emerging and another about to pop ... Laughing

How long is incubation ?
I did have another egg but i broke it by accident as i didnt know it was there when i was cleaning.
This last lot were on the top of the sand but i think one is mouldy and has no embryo.
Sorry will put up pics tonight but there are more pics somewhere in this section.

:.Rhacodactylus.:.Eublepharis.:.Stenodactylus.:.Nephrurus.:
dantro
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the 2 that hatched last night were laid on the 12th March so thats quite a while (12th March til 3rd June) at about 84 degrees
They can be a bugger to find, i use a soft bristle brush to brush away the sand, i broke one myself they are just so delicate .... the brush works well though ...
whiteraven666
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely geckos Paul Very Happy
Treakle (leopard gecko)
Jake (Baby beardie)
Draven (corn snake)
Denzil (chequered garter snake)
Samson+Mickey (Crested geckos)
Cody (Velvet gecko)
PaulG
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantro wrote:
well the 2 that hatched last night were laid on the 12th March so thats quite a while (12th March til 3rd June) at about 84 degrees
They can be a bugger to find, i use a soft bristle brush to brush away the sand, i broke one myself they are just so delicate .... the brush works well though ...

Thanks Dantro !! the long wait !! but i have other eggs to keep me occupied in the mean time !! Very Happy

PaulG
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiteraven666 wrote:
Lovely geckos Paul Very Happy

Thanks !! Very Happy

neep_neep
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: MORE pics of some of my geckos & a question . . . Reply with quote

PaulG wrote:
. . . first though, I have a trio of crested geckos the male has only recently dropped his cresticles but i could see pores for ages.
The trio range from 22g - 25g. Now I know Scott keeps all his together from babies to adult.
But will the male be ok with them ? I know they are too small to breed but dont know what to do they have been together for ages now.

Well, in all honesty it's one of those issues where different people do different things.

I personally keep all my cresties in separate tanks (even the females) because I like to be able to monitor how much each individual is eating and when. I also want to be 100% certain that there is no bullying/intimidation going on, which has been known to occur amongst females too. Also, with my breeding females, I want to be able to keep track of who laid which eggs to keep track of parentage. But then, that's just my personal preference! I know that many people successfully keep groups together.

However, if I were in your situation and planned to keep them together, I would be inclined to split for now and wait until the females have reached a decent size. Even though they might be too small to breed with regards to the 'recommended' weight, there is nothing stopping them once they are 'fully functioning'. The male won't care what weight the females are Laughing They may be able to breed at, say, 27g, but do you want them to be breeding at that size? Once they start breeding, their efforts and energy will go towards the formation of the eggs rather than their own growth - particularly with regards to calcium.

It is also generally recommended to allow the females a few months 'break' from the male each year - so an extra set up for the male would come in handy for that too Smile

I understand that not everyone shares this view, but that's my opinion on the matter Smile
reptileparadise
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pictures Paul!

@Sophie: I can totally agree with what you're saying (even though I keep mine together all year round with a good cooling in winter)
Its very important for crested females not to breed them too early. they will stay much smaller and might produce infertile eggs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Geckos - ALL species All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: