Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what ya think of these??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
molurus
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is nature, just mutations occurring naturally. Things like this happen all the time. Its just that most of the time the mutants die before birth or before they can reproduce. As long as the animal doesn't suffer, is healthy and feeds well, I see no reason to object to this. Its no different than breeding bald rats and mice or all kinds of weird cat, dog, horse etc breeds. Or would you rather have a wolf at home?[/quote]

see, that's my problem,

we have done so much breeding to other live stock to domesticate it and turn it into something for our amusement we play God too much,

yes i would rather have a wolf curled up in front of my living room fire than a dog that has been breed so far that it will end up with some severe breathing/hip or hearing problem as it gets older because we wanted it to rip bull's or other dog's apart just for our amusement.

this is one reason why i don't have a k9
Morbid
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donīt like it at all.. See, I like snakes, not worms..

Assumption is the Mother of all f***ups.
dantro
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope not for me at all .. they just look like painted sausages .... much prefer the original ...
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonW wrote:

This is nature, just mutations occurring naturally. Things like this happen all the time. Its just that most of the time the mutants die before birth or before they can reproduce. As long as the animal doesn't suffer, is healthy and feeds well, I see no reason to object to this.

Yes individuals do occur in nature, and as such are an interesting phenomenon. Artificially orchestrated STRAINS of scaleless reptiles however would be due to nothing other than direct human intervention and are entirely divorced from anything that is natural. I am not aware of the source of the above images, I have seen at least one of them before however and am pretty sure that it was a "one off" found in the wild state. The deliberate creation of a scaless strain would be entirely pointless in my opinion, although I should expect that it is already in the process of being created somewhere by somebody with nothing other than monetary gain in mind from the project. Who or what else would benefit from it I cannot imagine.

Ron W wrote:
Its no different than breeding bald rats and mice or all kinds of weird cat, dog, horse etc breeds.

In other words, Domestication. It`s no doubt a case of closing the door after the horse has bolted by now but do we really need to domesticate reptiles or amphibians? As opposed to the idea as I am, I would have no objection to a domesticated strain`s existance if it could be guaranteed that the domesticated strain would not pollute the natural gene pool. The real thing so to speak. Unfortunately no such guarantee is possible, which is why I oppose it so strongly. Being realistic however, the damage has already been done in far too many areas.

Ron W wrote:
Or would you rather have a wolf at home?

Whilst I would not begin to consider the impracticalities involved with the prospect of a wolf residing in my immediate vacinity, it is a hard fact that nature simply cannot be improved upon. Certainly not in anyway that would enable the species concerned to function in a more efficient manner in it`s natural environment. Any such "improvements" are purely cosmetic in the eye of the individual human beholder and are governed by nothing other than individual taste. I would certainly prefer a healthy mongrel to a line bred pedigree with their various accompanying associated peculiarities however (ie, copper toxicosis in pedigree bedlington terriers, hip displasia in Labrador`s and German Shepherds, the need for caesarian section operations in the case of Bulldogs, ear problems in spaniels, heart problems in boxers, the list goes on). I do not include amongst this group the long established breeds of dog such as the greyhound which has been relatively unchanged for thousands of years (and also happens to require the least amount of caesarian section intervention when whelping, no suprise there). The gene pool in this case is huge, on a global scale.

Conversely, new previously unseen mutations in any species require an unavoidable amount of close line breeding in the early stages of "Strain creation". When such projects seemingly go to plan, the process is referred to as line breeding. When the results are not what is desired, and the amount of "wastage" produced (such as deformities, blindness etc) is high, exactly the same process is referred to as inbreeding. Not something that sits comfortably with me. Smile
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
quasimodo
Forum Granny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not for me. The different kinds of scales are all part of the appeal of different species of snakes - to me anyway Wink Think of the difference in the scales of say a Hog-nose and a Boa, or a Northern Pine and a Corn.
Twiisted
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the python Very Happy looks so smooooooooth
2.0.0 Toy poodles Leo & Buuren

(At work)
1.0.0 Boa Colin
1.1.0 Royal Python Fred & Laura
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: