Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hoping to breed grass snakes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ian14
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: hoping to breed grass snakes Reply with quote

In reply to the query of where this info can be found, the Police National Legal Database can be accessed via the internet - I believe that a subscription needs to be paid to access it, although I did try and it allowed me to search the site!! If you get onto it, by putting "wildlife" into the search box, you will get a load of hits, simply go through until you find the Wildlife and Countryside Act index. I can assure you that it makes clear that the legislation applies to animals in a wild state prior to sale.
As far as the sale of eggs/spawn goes, I would suggest that this is illegal if it has been collected from a wild site, given that the legislation refers to the species in all stages of the life cycle.
Matt Harris
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The is no clear definition of 'captive bred' either in the WCA 1981, as amended, or the Habs Regs, as amended.

The WCA itself re-enacts and amends, among others, the Conservation of Wild Creatures and Wild Plants Act 1975. The definitions of 'wild' and 'captive bred' etc may be in there, but I've not been able to lay my hands on a copy.

As for WCA 1981, section 9(5) prohibits trade of 'wild animals' listed in Schedule 5. 'Wild animal' is later defined in S. 27(1) as '...any animal (other than a bird) which is or (before it was killed or taken) was living in the wild'. This implies that F1 offsping are legal to sell, as they were never living in the wild.

Furthermore, is you extrapolate from birds to other animals, S. 27(2) says ' A bird shall not be treated as bred in captivity for the purposes of this Part unless its parents were lawfully in captivity when the egg was laid.'

As I say, if grass snakes follow this rule also (yes, I know they're not birds), and there's no law against catching or keeping them, then provided the eggs were laid in captivity, the resulting hatchlings should be legal to sell.

This is my interpretation of the text I have in from of me, but it's likely that DEFRA (or WAG in Wales), will have a different interpretation. The trouble is I can pretty much guarantee that if you try to 'phone them up and ask for a definitive answer, you'll be there for ages.

Regarding 'common' amphibians, there is a general licence to sell them outside of the breeding season.
Crunchie
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for this info people it's been very helpful.

I just wonder where all the F2 generation stuff has been picked up from if this is the case. Confused
ian14
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: hoping to breed grass snakes Reply with quote

My thanks to Matt for confirming what I had said!
GarryIOM
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are so lucky . I can only dream of rearing grass snakes here ( there are no native wild populations of Snakes / Newts / Toads or Slow Worms on the Isle of Man - just the Common Frog & Common Lizard ) . If anyone can help me obtain a couple of young grassies or slow worms that would ace .
ian14
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have since had confirmation from DEFRA that the legislation relates ONLY to animals which were WILD CAUGHT. It makes no distinction between first, second, or any subsequent captive bred generations. Therefore, if the animal was bred IN CAPTIVITY, even from a wild caught adult, then from a legal point of view, the hatchlings can be quite lawfully sold. Whether people view this as morally right or wrong is another matter, but before people get on their soap boxes, lets not forget that all the species we take for granted as captive bred came from wild caught animals, and that the hobby started with a handful of keepers in the US who captured native US species and managed to successfully breed them. You cannot get captive bred animals with species new to the hobby unless you collect adults from the wild to breed from!! It was quite normal when I started out to see wild caught corns for sale.
lovesnakes
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this has been a very interesting post to read.

I would just like to add that perhaps instead of breeding native UK herps for personal finance (which is why i'm assuming people are after the info' on the legalities of sale and so forth!!)
why not establish a program where by captive bred natives can be released back in to the wild?!
surely this would be a win win situation?
it not only gives the breeder the satisfaction in knowing they have successfully bred the reptile in question, but more importantly they help sustain wild numbers!! (that's got to be worth it's weight in gold, surely Smile )

what would be the legalities in such a program?
would it be possible to release captive bred natives in any place deemed suitable for the individual? or would you be looking at whole new set of problems of possible "unlawful releasing"?

cheers
Drymarchon32
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
why not establish a program where by captive bred natives can be released back in to the wild?!
surely this would be a win win situation?

There are several institutions and privates doing exactly that, however these are very well regulated and monitored and the implications for releasing captive bred animals into the wild can be very serious. Imagine releasing a snake or lizard that had picked up OPMV or a frog with Chytrid in a captive collection and then put into a wild population. The results could be catastrophic. There are extensive health checks that need to be carried out to ensure that this doesn't happen. The best way imho to approach this issue if you are interested in getting involved with conservation of native fauna is to get involved with habitat protection and management through volunteer work with groups such as Nature England to name but one. I'm sure slipper42 has some excellent contacts in this area.
I was involved for several years breeding sand lizards for release and it was indeed a very satisfying project and one I would be keen to be involved with again. Legal or not I am just not comfortable in taking native herps and breeding them to sell to people, just not my thing.

Al
lovesnakes
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drymarchon32 wrote:

Legal or not I am just not comfortable in taking native herps and breeding them to sell to people, just not my thing.

Al

totally agree with you on that one, merely pointing out to those who seem to be heart set on breeding the native herps, that there are ways/groups to get involved with so as to satisfy their craving for native breeding!!

the point you bought up about the catastrophic implications is why i thought i'd ask about the legalities, because should anyone want to venture in to such a project, they may not stop to think of these potential dangers.

personally I think leave them where you find them, but if you do want to breed natives, do it through an organisation that's already established?!

cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: