Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Selling reptiles
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Newman
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is at the moment no legal definition of a ‘pet shop’ as far as I am aware, each and every Local Authority can define its self. However, be enlarge a definition is a shop or business which offers pets for sale to the public, is deemed a pet shop.

All this is about to change with the introduction of the Animal Welfare Act which comes into effect in April next year. The Pet Shop Licensee will be replaced by the Pet Vending License which will have a much broader remit than the current Act.

At the moment most authorities exclude ‘commercial’ breeders from the Pet Animals Act, this will change and ‘commercial’ breeders and wholesalers etc will be licensed in the future. What constitutes ‘commercial’ breeders has yet to be defined, one suggestion being pushed very hard is that if you breed an animal [single animal] with the intention of selling it you should be licensed!

While I think that definition is unlikely to succeed, there are many people today who will be caught up in this!

It is not correct at this moment in time to say that all website that sell or offer for sale livestock will be licensed. There is a private Bill before parliament that is trying to ban sales and advertising of animals via the web but this is unlikely to be unsuccessful.

A draft Code of Practice has been produced for Internet sales, unfortunately few people have bothered to comment on it. While it is clear that some websites will be licensable under the AWB, it is my hope that hobbyists will not be affected. However, they will need to comply with some form of code of practice.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris, nice to see you here.

Is it ok for me to copy the draft over here for peoples comments?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Chris Newman
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do, it’s very, very important that people comment. As with all these things either we draft our own CoP’s and persuade government to adopt them, or we let them draft it for us, which would people prefer?
sock-puppet
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if you were to only sell invertebrates (which i believe are not classed as animals under the pet shop license act) and accessories such as substrates etc over the Internet would you still need a pet shop license (for the time being)? if not then what type of documents would you provide the wholesalers to prove that you are in fact a business and not a member of the public? i am now very confused Confused
2-0-0 hyla cinerea
0-0-3 Phrynohyas resinifictrix
0-0-3 dendrobates leucomelas
1-1-0 Chamaeleo calyptratus
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty sure you don't need a pet shop license if you sell over the internet, only if you allow public to your premises you would need a license.

As for proving to wholesalers, I'm sure a letter head, registration number, copy of any business invoices etc would do the job.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
JohnC
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one does apply for a Pet Shop Licence, the local council may well have rules that you have to comply with.
Many councils follow guidelines from the Veterinary Association.
These are quite stringent.
One requirement is that the proprietor must have qualifications in animal care or the like.
But some councils ignore this and dish them out freely.
When the Animal Welfare Bill comes in next year, I would think that councils will all have to follow the Vet Assoc guidelines if animal welfare is to be improved.
If you are thinking of getting a licence from your local council, ask for application details to see what they require of you.
sock-puppet
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right. cheers what registration numbers do you need?
i am in my second year of a national diploma in animal management so i should have adequate qualifications if i need them, think i will try and get some application details. thanks for the info Very Happy
2-0-0 hyla cinerea
0-0-3 Phrynohyas resinifictrix
0-0-3 dendrobates leucomelas
1-1-0 Chamaeleo calyptratus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: