Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

captive bred herpin'?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like fun, unfortunately there are a couple of problems, firstly the weather, unless you get the right weather you can spend a day and see nothing Sad (me & Stu had that problem, only caught a glimpse of an adder). Also giving out adder site locations isn't something I do lightly. I made the mistake once of telling someone a good site once and found a lot of 'destruction' from someone lifting logs, peeling back dead bark etc and it had an impact on the area for a couple of years Sad

If any one is interested, perhaps we could organise something? Epping forest does have a few good sites as does Southend. I've not really got much free time but you never know Question Cool

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Yeah, you all organise some shandy drinking excursions - i'm not jealous Confused

Laughing Razz ...as Scott says would be very dependant on the weather..and agree about not naming lots of sites..certainly up for a trip out looking..Dan you only want to come so you can wear your uniform.. Embarassed Laughing
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh I'd be up for a little trip too...does it include beer and a picnic? Very Happy
big_boids_uk
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah im with you on that one scott, there will always be one who trys to take one home in his pocket after wrecking half of the woodlands to find it. Well how bout the 4 or 5 of us that are interested chat about going herping together over email? That way we can discuss sites to go and all the specifics. I'll even throw in the beer and picnic myself seeing as im the newbee and dont know ass from elbow in the field herpin world! Stuart, you have my email, feel free to pass it on scott jstroud and any other trusted members you fancy coming and we can sort something out. Sound ok guys?
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Wink Someone mention beer! Shocked Twisted Evil
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
Sounds good. Wink Someone mention beer! Shocked Twisted Evil

emmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm beer! Shocked

slippery42
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: native Herping Reply with quote

As a highly experienced native herper its probably wise to point out that field herping in the UK isn't as straight forward as in say the USA.

Out native herps are in many areas scarce and very hard to find.

Yes there are sites where experience shows that you can regularly expect to see adders. This Slow Worms its similar as with Common Lizards though they are harder to see and get close enough to photograph.

Grass Snakes are more transitory and although you can go to southern sites and come across them its never guaranteed.

With the rarer species such as Sand Lizard and Smooth Snakes they are almost always associated with SSSI's and there is the first major problem.

Also the act of seeking them out is likely to be classed as hunting/surveying and you need to be licensed for EN or CCW.

Our rarer amphibians are the same.

You could go to the many areas where introduced species are found, bullfrog, Wall Lizard, Marsh Frog etc as they aren't covered by Wildlife and Countryside act ......unless yo caught one and let it go ....an offence.....yes by now your getting the gist of this thread.

Of course if you live in the hallowed country i.e anywhere north of say Manchester then you the species list your after starts to decline to Adder, Slow Worm and Common Lizard apart from the amphibians.....and I know there are a few (count them on your hands) sites where grass snakes may exist in northern England but hell they are hard to find at the best of times.

Being a field herper in England is hard in Scotland and Wales even harder and in Ireland your up against it!!

Even if you have some luck and find your target species things don't always go smooth..bad weather, rain, hot sunny day, adder with attitude, bad sight and well sometime you get it wrong.

4 days hospital rest thanks to Mr Adder.

Using Nikon D300's and pro lenses
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info there but you really should eat your peas you know!
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: native Herping Reply with quote

slippery42 wrote:
As a highly experienced native herper

Not to blow your own trumpet!! Razz

Oh and Orangina?? Everyone knows it doesn't taste as nice here as it does abroad, why ruin the memories? Laughing

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
slippery42
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: orangina & Peas Reply with quote

hadn't thought about the orangina and peas but i know what you mean Shocked

if I'd have been blowing my trumpet i wouldn't have included the adder bite story Rolling Eyes

25 years experience doesn't mean squat when you get it wrong Embarassed

Using Nikon D300's and pro lenses
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: